Chapter 117 - The Best Kind of Change

A/N: For reals, this time lol. Promise!

"It feels a little scandalous having all this skin on display," Lyssa joked as she bounded into the console room early the next morning, hair freshly washed and set and wearing a blue jean jacket over a yellow shirt and capris. "I mean, my ankles are on display and everything!"

The Doctor, who'd looked up with a beaming smile at her entrance, peered down at her ankles visible below the bottom of her jeans and clutched a hand to his chest in shock. "There's no need to be so brazen," he pretended to chide her. "I'm already head over heels for you, you don't have to try and seduce me with your ankles as well. My greatest weakness, how did you know?" 

"Stoooop," she pleaded with a laugh, covering her red face with her hands. "It's too early in the morning for this!" He opened his mouth and she removed her hands to thrust a finger at him. "And don't you say anything about there not being any actual time on the TARDIS," she warned him.

He hmphed. "Well, then, let's say we go somewhere it's actually morning," he suggested, fingers dancing over the console. "Give Martha a bit of a real break from dealing with us while she enjoys her time at the spa. How do you feel about crepes from Paris for breakfast? My treat, of course."

"More like my treat," Lyssa teased him as she joined him at the console and feeling butterflies fill her stomach when he gave her a soft smile. "I love crepes and I'm not going to share."

"But fairy-girl!" he protested as he sent them off into the Time Vortex. "What happened to 'sharing is caring'?"

She shrugged. "My caring does not extend to crepes. You should've suggested waffles." She watched him out of the corner of her eye as he complained about the unfairness of it all, a smile lifting the corners of his mouth, and felt herself relax a little. She'd been wondering how their new relationship status would affect the way they acted around each other, especially when it was so new, and was relieved to find that nothing had really changed.

"All right, love, I've found what's supposed to be the best crepes in Paris," the Doctor told her as they landed, holding out a hand to her. "Shall we go test that claim?"

Well, maybe a few things had changed.

But, she remembered with a smile as she placed her hand in his, not all change was a bad thing. Sometimes things could change for the better.

And she was looking forward to see where this change would lead.

xXx

In hindsight, some change could be both a bad thing and a good thing, depending on who you asked - though Lyssa was leaning towards enjoying this particular change, no matter how brief a time it had lasted.

The Doctor was somewhat less thrilled about it.

"So, are you gonna tell Martha that you offended a mad scientist and got turned into a cat, or should I?"

"I don't think anyone needs to tell Martha what happened, fairy-girl. And I didn't actually get changed into a cat, everyone's perception of me just got shifted to see me as a cat."

"Mhm, whatever you say. I have to ask, though, am I just supposed to lie to her when she asks what we did?"

"As it stands, you did nothing but laugh and scratch my ears."

"Well, you were an adorable cat. What was I supposed to do?"

His face was a struggle as his vanity was both pleased and affronted all at once. "I don't like cats," he muttered sulkily, though he still opened the TARDIS door for her and let her in first.