가을 우체국 앞에서

Jin walked up to the bench sitting next to the local post office, sighing as he sat down. Wind brushed past him, promoting him to fix his hat and blazer before sniffling. It was getting colder everyday, and along with that, Jin also got a cold. It wasn't bad, just mildly annoying.

He looked up and down the street and noted that now some of the leaves of the trees were falling off. The street was a mix of gray and yellow, with hints of orange and red thrown in. It was pretty.

Definitely not as pretty as who he was waiting for, though. Pretty, however, seemed like an understand. They were absolutely beautiful, and if he had a dictionary he'd look up every positive word he could to describe them. But he doesn't have a dictionary, so Jin will just stick with that.

He checked his wristwatch, turning his wrist up so he could see the time. (Some people called him weird for having the watch facing down, but Jin was a little weird. It fit his character.) The clock read 10:34. Jin would have to leave the bench to get lunch in an hour or so, even if he didn't want to. Leaving the bench meant he might miss them.

Jin sighed again. Pitying gazes landed on him from the other townsfolk, and one particular fellow came up to him.

"C'mon, Jin," the man said, his voice raspy from smoking (and Jin could smell the smoke on him, sadly). "You know the guy's not coming back. Why don't you just move on?"

Jin looked up at the aging man, pursing his lips before answering. "You don't know that. He said he was coming back, and would meet me right here, so I have to uphold my end of the promise."

The man tsk'd and shook his head. "Okay, Jin. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Take care of yourself, at least? You're running a cold."

Jin sniffled again and huffed. "I will."

Cracking a smile, the other continued walking down the path.

Jin didn't smile. If anything, his mood got worse. So instead of looking at people who distances themselves from him, and looked up at the bright, blue sky.

There was a single, wispy cloud hanging above him. He tilted his head to the side, letting out s soft and quiet hum in thought. He felt more connected to the cloud in the sky than the people on the ground. The cloud was there, barely there, and alone. Jin felt the same. He didn't always feel so alone. When he was here, he for sure didn't feel alone.

But he wasn't here, so Jin was alone.

He sat in the bench until his watch read 11:45. Jin then scurried way off to get a sandwich and some water, then scurried back to the bench to eat.

It was an uneventful meal, and when everything was either eaten or thrown away, Jin relaxed again. He would hate himself even more if he missed him coming back.

Faintly, we wondered what waiting during the winter months would be like. Spring way was cold, but it never snowed, it rained quite a bit in summer, and now, in autumn, it was pretty, and chilly.

Jin's thoughts continued to wander until his stomach rumbled. The sky was darker now, and Jin has missed dinner. Again. Or at least, when he would've loved to eat dinner. Sighing, Jin decided he could go hungry tonight. He had to wait, he had to not miss him.

The sky was getting darker and darker, the streetlight next to the bench and in front of the post office was the only thing telling anyone that Jin was still on the bench. Usually, he didn't stay out this late, but his gut was telling him to stay.

Looking up, Jin was thankful he lived in a rural town. Stars were twinkling above, and although the street lamps were killing the view, Jin still appreciated it.

"They remind me of you, you know..." Jin mumbled to himself, sighing dejectedly. His eyes were starting to droop, and sleep was very, very welcoming.

Until a cold gust of wind blew his hat off. It woke Jin up, if he had ever fallen asleep. His hat landed in the middle of the leaf-ridden street, where cars had stopped through hours ago. Jin blinked sleep away from his eyes and sniffled.

He groaned and got up, knowing full well he needed to get his hat. Stepping sluggishly onto the street, he bent down and pick up his hat. Jin shook a few leaves off of it with his hand and didn't bother to put it back on when he sat down on the bench in front of the unlit post office.

Jin sniffled again and screwed his eyes shut tiredly. He should probably get home before he gets pneumonia or something.

So Jin got up and slipped his hat on. He looked up the street, and down the street, searching in the mediocre darkness for anything.

Jin did a double take. Down the sidewalk, just barely, he could see something. Someone.

"Hello?" Jin called out, uncertain.

There was an awkward laugh from the person. A familiar laugh. "Hi," the other said meekly.

Jin was frozen, mouth agape. It was him. He came back. The other stepped out into the yellow light, smiling brightly.

Jin smiled brightly, too. God, he was so stunning, and so much more beautiful than when Jin last saw him in the early spring months.

They stared fondly at each other, under the twinkling stars, next to the street lamp, above the yellow leaves, and in front of the autumn post office.