“Finally. Time for bed.”

Flipping off the light, she walked out of the bathroom and hopped into bed. She then reached over, set her alarm clock, and put a sleep mask on, before settling into bed and letting sleep overtake her.

At some unknown time later, she felt something poke her side.

“This is a bad idea, sir.”

The dream of pancakes and mine carts filled with Hearths Warming Eve ornaments started to break as consciousness returned.

“Well, what would you have me do? We tried knocking for ten minutes.”

'That's funny, it almost sounds like there's somepony in my room.'

“I must agree with the Captain-General, sir. You of all ponies know what happens when you disturb a sleeping alicorn.”

'Make that “ponies”.'

Twilight started to drift back off.

“I'll have you know that Luna was extremely remorseful over that, and the eyeball grew back anyway, or did you forget our healing abilities?”

Another jab to her side caused Twilight's train to sleepville to derail with severe casualties.

“Lady Regent, please wake up.”

“Go way, Spi.”

Another poke to her side.

“I'm sorry, Twilight, but we have important matters to discuss.”

'Why must dream constructs be so interruptive?'

Twilight lifted the sleep mask and peered out. Three sets of glowing eyes peered back at her.

Ah!

Startled, she jumped up, the sleep mask falling onto the bed.

“Oh good, you're awake.”

She could just make out three outlines standing next to her bed. She could also make out the fangs in their mouths that glistened in the moonlight.

'Vamponies! Why did it have to be vamponies? “Twilight Sparkle”, it's like irony is out to get me or something.'

On instinct, Twilight shot three bolts of magic at the vamponies.

“Whoa!”

“What did I say, Borealis?”

“Air Dodge!”

The three disappeared in a blink of an eye just as the magic was about to hit them. A gust of wind signaled their appearance on the other side of the bed. Twilight stared at them for a moment before the rational side of her brain finally turned on and she looked at the door.

Guards!

“Yes, Lady Regent?”

She turned her head to face the intruders.

“What?”

“Captain Aurora Borealis of the Night Guard, reporting as requested.” the middle pony gestured to his right, “Captain-General Solar Eclipse also reporting.” he then turned to his left, “As is Sergeant Sprinkles and you know, Sergeant, you don't have to yell out the move before you make it.”

Twilight stared at the three.

“What?”

“My apologies for our unusual introduction, Lady Regent. You didn't answer your door, so we felt it best to ascertain what was going on.”