“Here you go. What do we feel like tonight?”

“They usually do a good steak here. New York strip?”

“I do not partake of the flesh of cattle.”

“No steak?”

“No cows, or pigs, or beasts of any sort.”

“You? A vegetarian?”

“Yep.”

“Interesting. I never would have pictured that about you. So what made you give up the meat?”

“You mean, is it a religion thing?”

“I hadn’t even thought of that. Usually it’s a cruelty thing, I’m guessing.”

“I just feel better when I eat this way. Why do you eat meat?”

“Because it tastes so damn good. Nice juicy steak with garlic and mushrooms. Mmm. Tell me you don’t miss it sometimes.”

“Never. I never really liked meat when I was a kid. I was always a little bit grossed out by it. Only ate the most processed kinds of meat I could find. Nothing off the bone. And then when I did some reading on the subject, and talked to some vegetarians I knew, I was convinced.”

“So are you one of the ones who eat cheese and eggs, or are you a vay-gun?”

“I’m mostly vee-gan.”

“So you can have cheese?”

“I can have whatever I want. They’re my rules. But I mostly stay away from all animal products if I can.”

“All this talk about steaks is making me really hungry. Where the hell is the guy?”

“You made the classic mistake of being hungry. Don’t you know that hungry people are invisible to waiters? They can only see bitchy people. Hey, buddy! Little help over here? Yes. We’ve decided to eat. I’ll have the ‘Angel Hair Primavera’ and the salad to start. No cheese, thanks.”

“And for you, sir?”

“I’ll have the New York strip with the salad as well. And another beer.”

“Another Pellegrino, sir?”

“Sure.”

“I’ll be right back with your bread and salad.”

Martin drank off the remains of his beer. “So, is Gina a vegetarian, too?”

“Yeah, she is.”

“That must make things easier.”

“I guess so.”

“So how long have you lived together?”

“Since university, which is a fair few years.”

“Any talk of marriage?”

“Bite your tongue. What about you, when are you getting married?”

“Married? I’d need a girlfriend first.”

“You’re not seeing anyone?”

“No, not right now. Not for a long time, really.”

“Anything in particular responsible for the dry spell?”

“Or anyone? Yeah, I’ve had a couple of relationships end badly.”

“Nothing ends well. It is either good and keeps working, or it ends. Usually badly.”

“I suppose. But everything seemed to be going along so well with Jenny. We were seeing each other all the time...”

Martin went on, but George wasn’t following what he was saying. He thought of waking up that morning with Gina gone, and that feeling in the pit of his stomach. His salad wasn’t exactly going down easy. She was probably home by now and had got his message. She had probably expected him to come right home so they could talk about it. Like that was a scene he was looking forward to. She only wanted to hear one thing, and he wanted, what? To stall? To agree? He couldn’t face it. He needed time to think things through for himself first. He nodded at Martin in agreement.