Chapter Two (2021 Rework)

Start from the beginning

"Oh honey it should be a family day. Morgan just came home," Sarah sighed as he started for the door.

"It's alright Mom, I'd like a chance to meet to Jack's girlfriend before the rumors star swirling at school."

The door opened right as I finished my sentence. "Hey babe, sorry I forgot to text you. My-"

"Yeah, a text would have been nice before I spent half an hour sitting alone at a diner like some spinster."

I looked towards David with an eyebrow raised, but he simply shook his head and opened the paper before taking a long sip from his mug. I heard Sarah let out a sigh as well just before a loud clacking sound filled the kitchen.

"And who is this?" Rolling my eyes I turned around in my seat to get a look at the recent annoyance. Standing beside Jackson was a girl who screamed high maintenance. Her red wavy hair looked gorgeous and paired well with her black and white collared shirt and patterned skirt topped off with some black heels and immaculate makeup. "So you missed our lunch date because you're having lunch with another girl? Unbelievable."

"Lydia wait," Jackson called as she turned to start walking away. "This is my sister, Morgan. She just got in last night and we've been having a family day and catching up."

"What are you talking about? You told me your sister died when you were a kid."

"Yeah, we thought she did, but it's a long story. I'll tell you about it later, but for now why don't you come eat with us?"

"Hmm, okay but you're definitely going to have to make it up to me later," she said with a smirk as she sat in the seat Jackson had just been occupying. Turning her head back my way, she stuck her hand almost directly into my face. "Lydia Martin, pleased to meet you." Her smile was almost too big, and the passive aggressiveness rolled off her in waves.

"Pleasure," I responded, completely ignoring her outstretched hand as I sipped my coffee. The rest of our meal passed in uncomfortable silence as we finished.

"Well darling what are we doing tonight?" Lydia asked as Jackson stood up to grab some more coffee.

"Actually, Jackson's taking me back to school shopping, right bro?" I cut in, smirking at Lydia. Her eyes narrowed at me as I smiled and sipped my coffee in her direction.

"Uh yeah, I guess you need clothes too, huh?"

"Oh perfect, I can help you pick out some clothes. I assume you're not exactly caught up on the latest fashion trends," Lydia replied with a smirk of her own. It was my turn to glare as I fought the urge to grab her by the throat and drag her face across the table. If only you knew who you were messing with you stupid bitch.

"Oh I think I can manage. I'm not exactly into the preschool teacher aesthetic." Sarah barely managed to bite back a chuckle and I could see David choke on his drink from the corner of my eye. Poor Jackson was standing there looking awkward as hell and completely unsure of what to say. Judging from the look on Lydia's face, I could tell people didn't exactly stand up to her too often. Well she's about to learn real quick I don't play those kind of games.

"Oh. Well that's alright, I should get going anyway. I need to make sure my outfit's perfect for tomorrow morning." Lydia stood up and Jackson quickly walked around the table and started guiding her to the door. "It was nice seeing you again Mr. and Mrs. Whittemore."

"You too Lydia, drive safe," Sarah called just before the door closed.

"Well that was an... interesting first encounter," I said with a laugh as Jackson ran a hand through his hair.