Chapter 1

I ran down the dark, dimly lit hallway my arms pumping fast, my body on autopilot. Inhale, Exhale, Inhale, Exhale, I reminded myself. I turned left, trying to ignore the sound of footsteps behind me. Inhale, Exhale, Inhale, Exhale. They were closing in on me. I turned right my heart beating fast and my legs running faster than I thought was possible. I gasped for air, knowing I couldn't stop even though every part of my body was telling me to; to slow down and take a break. No! I wouldn't, I couldn't. I turned right again focusing on moving my arms and my legs. I couldn't go much farther. I was beginning to slow down. Then I saw it, the opening. The sight of those two glass doors was like winning the lottery, no, it was more than that. This was a matter of life or death. I sprinted threw the door, the wind blowing on my neck trying to slow me down, trying to keep me back.

"No!!!" She screamed grabbing for my arms, trying to pull me back. But it was too late. I jumped off the cliff the wind blowing against me stronger than ever. My stomach hit against the water like a load of bricks making me want to curl up and block out the pain. I was sinking into the water, I gasped for air out of instinct only to have my mouth fill with water. I opened my eyes ignoring the burning and started thrashing in the water trying to find my way to the surface. My face broke out of the water and i gulped in the air only to have a wave crash down on me bringing me below the surface again. I was too weak, my arms burned and I could feel them starting to slowing. The water pushed against me bringing me farther and farther from the top. I couldn't take it any more. I dropped my arms and let the water carry me down peacefully savoring the feel of the cool water. I always loved the ocean and the beach. I used to go to the Puerto Rico every summer with my parents, before they passed. It was our special place. And it made me happy to die in a place we all loved, like one last memoir to them. I let my body turn weightless and let the cool waves pull me down, then everything went black.