Chapter 16: Old self

Start from the beginning

"Seems like you have nothing left to say. I don't blame you, either. Falling for me is not so hard, after I get what I want with a girl – I drop them. No hard feelings, Granger. It's just how I work." He said, with a smirk. That signature smirk usually makes my heart melt, but what I was feeling was far from making my heart melt.

I looked at him with wide eyes, my cheeks flushing with anger. He looked at me, his eyes had begun to show an emotion – fear. Similar to the look in his eyes in third year, before I had punched him.

"You incompetent, little, cockroach! I don't know what happened, but I can't even stand being next to you – not even a second of it! You deserve to be eaten alive by a flying hippogriff." I began, the whole classroom was now staring our way. "I can't believe you! Bravo, you made the smartest witch of her age, finally crack! I applaud you. But know this, Malfoy. Come near me and I swear on bloody Godric Gryffindors name, that you will be hexed into oblivion." I spat, walking toward him. My wand now placed in my hand, feeling someone grab me.

"Excuse us, Sir. Hermione isn't feeling the best." I heard a male voice say, I was lead out of the classroom – still in the embrace of the boy. I turned to see Blaise Zabini staring at me.

"What the bloody hell is going on with Malfoy?" He asked, rubbing the back of his head in confusion. I laughed hysterically, although there was no humor intended.

"Last night we spent the night together and this morning when I awoke, he was nowhere to be found! Then, I see him walking hand-in-hand with Pansy Parkinson." My voice cracked at the last sentence, my eyesight was now blurry, my head spinning in ache. Zabini embraced me into a genuine hug, tears began pouring out of my eyes onto his shirt.

"I don't know what happened, Zabini. I really don't." I said in between sniffles. The door shot open, Blaise and I separated seeing who it was. Draco. For a moment, it was as if I had seen emotion, but it had gone quicker than it had appeared. He walked away from us, into the distance.

--

Draco's POV

After seeing Blaise and Hermione in an embracive hug, I had decided not to attend any other of my classes. Images began to fill my head, images of the girl I had broken into pieces. I sat on the couch, my head in my hands – sobbing loudly at what had occurred.

The day had finished; I was sitting in front of the burning blaze.

"I was trying to protect her! Not hurt her. What have I done?" I said, sobbing loudly.

"Why did you do it, mate?" I suddenly shot up and saw the Dark Italian who had entered the common room. I rolled my eyes, wiping the tears away.

"Nothing that involves you. Stay out of it, alright?" I spat, looking at the fire burning. "How did you even get in here?" I asked, turning to my best friend who was now placed beside me.

"Hermione." He said, looking back at me. My heart throbbed at her name. "What happened? You were so in love with her." He asked.

I chuckled. "I was not in love with her. It- it was a game, you see? Parkinson and I made a bet that I could get her to fall for me. If so, I would get the pleasure of breaking the brightest witch of our age... Quiet satisfying, really." I said, with a smirk fake enough to even look plastic. Blaise scoffed and stood up.

"I thought I could come here and sort you out, mate. But it looks like you've gone full mental. Thinking I would believe you for one second! You must be blind. You have no idea what you have ruined! You have no idea what you have caused her. I hope that you will see that one day. And that whatever is making you do this will finally come to an end and you will realise how pathetic and dim-witted you truly are!" He said, beginning to walk out of the room. "But, if it was truly all a game. I'm sickened by the fact that you can actually tell a girl, who was all about you, that you loved her and then leave her. You, my friend, you're a dick." He opened the door. "Oh, Hermione." He said, his voice softer than before.

"Blaise." She replied, I turned to see the girl who was carrying her books tightly to her chest. Her eyes swollen but not wet. She stared at me for a moment and then back at Blaise.

"Have you seen Ginny?" He asked with concern. She smiled at him.

"Yes, I have. I'm just getting a few things then heading back to the Gryffindor common room." She said, I turned back to the fireplace, closing my eyes – letting tears stream down quietly.

"Just tell her that I – that I just want to talk to her. I miss her." He said, before walking out. He shut the door softly. Hermione was now walking to her room – not staring at me.

"Not spending the night here?" I asked her. She stopped in her spot and turned to me.

"I don't want to spend time with a person who still believes in blood prejudice, I don't want to spend time with someone who can be so cruel." She hissed, walking into her room and slamming the door.

I walked into my room, closing the door silently. My back placed on the door, sliding down as I began to cry. Why had I done this?

--

Hey guys! New chapter to celebrate Draco's Birthday! Yes, I know. This chapter isn't all lovey, but this is going back to the "old" Draco, in the first part – acting all prejudiced and arrogant. But, truly, he is all broken – going back to the half-blood prince and onwards. This was basically just a chapter about Draco's progression through the movies (embracing his birthday, sort of thing)! We got to see a little spark of the Zabini and Hermione friendship which I totally dig. Anyway. This will be the last chapter for a few days.

Please drop a comment and vote. Love, Mya xo