Waiting on the Edge

Night has finally reached Minas Tirith. Real night, not the uncomfortable darkness of earlier today that felt like night, but real, true, dark night. I am sat in the room Pippin and Gandalf are sharing, lounging on one of the beds while Pippin is studying his knew livery which is arranged on the other. Frankly, we are all surprised that they actually managed to find a uniform that would fit him. Gandalf is out on the balcony, smoking like a chimney and staring out at the horizon.

“So I imagine this is just a ceremonial position. I mean, they don’t actually expect me to do any fighting… Do they?” Pippin says, still sounding cheery despite everything.

“You’re in the service of the Steward now, you’ll have to do as you’re told, Peregrin Took” Gandalf says, rather snappily. The wizard then proceeds to have a coughing fit, I blame the smoking. Pippin dutifully pours him a cup of water but I don’t even move. Under his breath, Gandalf mutters “Guard of the Citadel”, almost mocking the title Pippin has been given. My sharp ears pick it up, but fortunately Pippin doesn’t have hearing as good as mine and does not hear Gandalf, does not detect his mocking. As Gandalf’s coughing intensifies, Pippin hands him the water and it is gratefully received. The two of them, now both stood on the balcony staring out at the horizon, are silent until Pippin says “There’s no more stars. Is it time?”

This catches my attention and I get up from the bed, coming to stand in the doorway out onto the balcony, both Pippin and myself are anxious for Gandalf’s reply. I know Pippin doesn’t want the fighting to come, and with good reason, but I do. I want the waiting to be over.

“Yes” Gandalf says quietly.

“It’s so quiet” Pippin says.

“It’s the deep breath before the plunge”

“I don’t want to be in the battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can’t escape is even worse. Is there any hope, Gandalf, for Frodo and Sam?” Pippin asks and in response Gandalf comes to stand beside him, leaning on the railing. I join them, on the other side of Pippin.

“There never was much hope” Gandalf says and Pippin and I stare at him, unnerved “Just a fool’s hope”

We are silent for a moment before he continues “Our enemy is almost ready, his full strength gathered. Not only Orcs, but men as well. Legions of Haradrim from the South. Mercenaries from the coast. All will answer Mordor’s call” Gandalf sounds a little dazed, like he is talking to himself “This will be the end of Gondor as we know it. Here the hammer stroke will fall hardest. If the river is taken, if the garrison in Osgiliath falls, the last defence of this city will be gone”

“We can fight. There are men here, surely they can fight. And Rohan will come, won’t they?” I say. But Gandalf offers me no reassurance, he just shoots me a look that says it won’t be enough.

“But we have the White Wizard that’s got to count for something” Pippin says, trying to find some reassurance for us.

“Sauron has yet to reveal his deadliest servant. The one who will lead Mordor's armies in war, the one they say no living man can kill” Gandalf says and then he turns to Pippin “You've met him before. He stabbed Frodo on Weathertop”