Falling

“What is this new devilry?” Boromir asks quietly. The fiery light starts moving closer to us and Gandalf slowly replies “A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you” he then turns and gives us the only instruction that could save our lives “RUN!”

And I don’t need to be told twice! I run, shepherding the hobbits as I go, following Gandalf as he leads us to a door. Boromir is first through, swiftly followed by me. He stops suddenly as the staircase we are on ends and we are both left, desperately trying to regain our balance as we teeter precariously over an enormous drop. Legolas is next through and he sees our predicament, grabbing onto Boromir’s belt and pulling him backwards and to safety then doing the same with me but pulling me into his arms instead, steadying me on my feet. I pull away quickly, giving him an awkward nod of thanks.

Gandalf comes at the back of the group where he pauses, leaning heavily on his staff.

“Lead them on Aragorn” he says, grabbing father’s shoulder “The bridge is near” but father hesitates, earning him a heavy shove from Gandalf “do as I say!” he commands “Swords are no more use here”

We turn right, following a staircase downwards. We reach a gap in the staircase but Legolas does not hesitate, he jumps nimbly across and I am only a second behind him. As I land on the other side he grabs my hand, helping me steady myself before letting me go. He is being rather nice for someone I threatened not too long ago.

The Balrog growls again and Gandalf looks over his shoulder, worried. Legolas beckons him and Gandalf jumps. Boromir then grabs Merry and Pippin and launches himself across the gap, landing clumsily but safe on the other side as Legolas takes out orc archers. The gap in the staircase crumbles further.

Aragorn grabs Sam and flings him across the gap where he is caught by Boromir and then turns to Gimli who puts up a hand and growls “Nobody tosses a dwarf” he then leaps across the gap and lands but starts falling backwards, causing Legolas to reach out and grab his beard and Gimli to yell “Not the beard!” but Legolas ignores his protests and pulls him to safety. The staircase then gives way even more and Aragorn and Frodo have to scramble backwards as it crumbles beneath their feet. Some rubble then hits the staircase behind them, knocking it away and leaving them standing on an island which is crumbling away at the base rather dramatically. My heart is in my mouth as I watch my father and Frodo leaning in such a way that the staircase slowly leans towards us, crashing into our piece of stairs and sending them hurtling towards us and to safety.

We can’t stop to rest however and now that we are all across we continue our mad dash down the stairs until we reach the thin bridge, balancing carefully as we run across the very narrow strip of stone. Gandalf, however, doesn’t follow us. He stops halfway across the bridge, turning to face the Balrog. I can now see the beast as more than just fire, I can make out its huge form, a dark mass amongst the flames which are coming from its body.

“You cannot pass!” Gandalf yells. The Balrog snarls and Frodo yells Gandalf’s name in horror as he sees what the wizard is doing.

“I am servant of the secret fire” Gandalf continues “Wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun!”

The Balrog steps onto the tiny bridge and strikes down at Gandalf with its enormous flaming sword but Gandalf raises his staff and blocks the blow.

“Go back to the shadow” he commands the beast which then starts to swing a flaming whip. “YOU SHALL NOT PASS!” Gandalf yells, lifting his sword and his staff and bringing them down on the bridge with a bright flash. The Balrog recoils before leaping forward. He is about to strike Gandalf when the bridge beneath it crumbles and it falls away into the darkness. Gandalf turns wearily away when suddenly the flaming whip comes up, wrapping around his ankle and pulling him down, he catches hold of the edge of the bridge and hangs there.

“Gandalf!” I scream and Frodo and I try to rush forward but Boromir catches the hobbit and I feel strong arms wrap around me, holding me tight. I tear at the arms, desperately trying to break free and run to Gandalf.

“Fly you fools” Gandalf says. Then he lets go.

“No!” I scream “No! No! No! No! No! NO!” The arms around me start pulling me away, dragging me from the bridge as I scream. They let go of me, shoving me up the stairs as the arrows start to fly around us. I stand, staring at the bridge as a hand grabs mine; I turn to see Legolas pulling me up the stairs. He drags me after the others as I stumble behind him, blinded by the tears that insist on coming.

We tumble out of a doorway and into the daylight where I yank myself free from Legolas and run. I stumble away from the group before falling to my knees. The hard stone ground is rough to the touch and I hit it with my fist, opening a dozen tiny cuts and feeling the tiny beads of blood begin to seep from them. I sit on the ground, clutching at the stone with my nails as my body shakes with sobs and the tears stream down my face. All I can see is Gandalf as he fell. All I can feel is the pain as I imagine a future without him and the fear of what we shall do now he is gone.

Now he's gone. Gone. Gone. I can't get my head around it, don't want to get my head around it. Don't ever want to let him go. He's probably still falling. Falling forever. Gone.

“Legolas! Get them up” I hear fathers voice say.

“Give them a moment for pity’s sake!” Boromir protests.

“By nightfall these hills will be swarming with orcs!” Father says “We must reach the woods of Lothlorien. Come Boromir, Legolas, Gimli get them up. On your feet Sam. Frodo. Frodo!”

So far they have left me alone but I know it won’t last. I hear footsteps coming up behind me and turn my head to see father. He squats down next to me and brushes the hair from my face, tucking it behind my ear.

“Come Ariana” He says, gently taking my hand and pulling me to my feet.