The Little Mermaid

Chapter Eight

The Little Mermaid

All through lunch I was trying to formulate a way to inform Noah that he could no longer come to my house, because quite frankly, I was freaking out. What’s he going to say when he sees the warzone which is my house? He’ll run as fast as he can straight out the door. And, if I was completely honest with myself, I’m terrified he’ll run and never come back. No one’s been to my house before, not since my mom killed herself one year ago. My life is too fûcked up now and I’m trying to keep it a secret. Especially now, with the possibility of actually friends in the mix. Nobody even knows my mom killed herself, they think she simply fell into a coma and died. Nothing else. Short and simple, just the way I like it.

     I sit at a table by myself, partly afraid and partly just not in the mood to deal with Cherry. Noah came searching for me during the first part of lunch but I ducked my head and shoved my wild curls in my hood. My bodies humming with anticipation and anxiety and I just want this day to be over.

     “Hello, Carly Ann.”

     Sh!t

     Aiden slid onto the chair beside me and straddled it, looking up at me with a bright smirk. “Are you hiding?”

     Yes. “No.” I took a large bite from my apple and swallowed. “Why would you think that?”

     “Because Noah said he searched the whole school looking for you, yet here you are,” he gestured to my seating form. “Right here.”

     “Funny,” I said dryly.

     He nodded with a smirk still present. Aiden’s quite the attractive boy and I have no idea why he would be remotely interested in me.

     Maybe he’s not. A small part of me whispered. Maybe their right. Maybe I’m reading too much into things.

     “You look good today, Carly Ann.”

    I flushed and shrugged. I stole some of Becky’s clothes this morning and wore a nice pink unzipped sweater with a lace tank top underneath. The tank top hung loosely on my shoulders so I had to tighten and pull together the straps with a safety pin but thankfully the sweater covered that. I also wore my best jeans, the ones that I usually safe for special occasions like Christmas and Birthdays. They cling to me like a second skin though and make my butt look nice. I was feeling inadequate after yesterday, being dressed in Brittany Shaw’s clothes.

    “Thanks,” I mumbled and played with my thumbs. I smiled and squared my shoulders. “Do you ever not give compliments?”

    He grinned down at me and his eyes lowered, making my insides squirm. “I told you, I only give compliments to the cute ones.”

    I shook my head and took another bite of my apple. All these boys are going to be the death of me.

    “Kelly, what you doing?”

    Aiden looked up and I tilted my head also, seeing David Jones standing there with an expectant grin and a raised brow.

     “Talking with Carly Ann,” Aiden answered, raising a brow back.

     David looked down at me and his brows furrowed. I could practically hear what he’s thinking, who the fûck is Carly Ann?

     David blinked and nodded before moving to The Popular’s table with a wave.

     “Don’t mind him,” Aiden said with a smile, “he’s just a douche.”

     I raised a brow and forced a smile. “That wasn’t much of a compliment.”