Chapter XXXIX: Red Dirt and Stale Food

Joana

The King was nothing like Joana had ever seen before. When she had first met T'challa, she hated him because he was trying to kill Bucky. However, now that she had met him and he had taken all of them under his wing, she saw him in a whole new light.

He was an incredibly kind person, and extremely humble. T'challa had allowed Steve and Sam and the others to stay in his country, but he had done more than that. He supplied them with food and water and weapons when they asked for it. He gave Bucky the best medical attention and was even researching ways to take the Winter Soldier out of his head. He made Wakanda, a strange place, feel like home and Joana was eternally grateful. 

When he invited Joana to his coronation, she had to respectfully decline. It wasn't her place to be there. She was a guest and the people were the ones who deserved to go. She decided to stay behind and watched over Bucky.

She had, however, helped Shuri get into her outfit. Joana hadn't worn a corset since she worked in her Gram's shop, but being able to put one on someone else wasn't something she quickly forgot. Shuri complained the entire time Joana pulled at the back. 

"Oh, hush up, Shuri," Joana scolded, pulling tighter. "If you stopped squirming, maybe this would be done faster." 

Shuri stuck her tongue out at Joana. 

Joana was introduced to Nakia before they left for the coronation. She met Nakia while she walked Shuri through the castle. Nakia had a serenity and a power that radiated off of her. She was wary of Joana at first, but Shuri made sure that the two got to know each other. 

Joana was more than happy to see Okoye again. 

"After this, Joana, we really must see how good you are at fighting. Our King has told us so much about your style," Okoye said. Pride exploded in Joana's chest. She dipped her head in thanks. Okoye crossed her arms over her chest in an 'X' and walked away.

Joana left Shuri with a hug before journeying to Medical Bay. It was strange to her how quickly she had become used to the palace. She had only wandered the halls once or twice with Shuri, yet she knew exactly how to get to the Medical Bay from where she was left. Time progressed differently in Wakanda. She made friends with Shuri faster than she had with anyone. She felt more comfortable with Okoye than anyone she had met since leaving Hydra, aside from Sam. 

Thinking about Sam made Joana's heart sink. She missed him, more than she thought she would. The more she thought about missing Sam, the more she thought about missing Steve and Natalia. She sat in front of Bucky's container, trying not to cry. Even though she was now surrounded by new people she felt comfortable around, she was desperately missing the one person who had been by her side since she was 12. 

She wasn't sure if this was the worst kind of torture she had endured. Bucky was right there, separated from her by a mere inch of glass. Joana placed her hand on the glass, praying that somehow, he might put his hand up too. When he didn't, she stepped back and put her head in her hands. 

As she sat on the ground, she found that there was one person she missed more than any of her friends, one person she would never be able to see again. 

Danika. 

Danika would never be buried. There would be no gravestone to visit. She had no family outside of her parents, not that Joana knew of. The only thing Joana had left of her friend was memories, and most of those memories weren't good ones. Maybe when Natalia came back, Joana could ask about those Hydra files she dropped four years ago. That might give Joana the closure she needed.