Chapter 3

"So, Connor, what can you do?" Amy asked. She had taken Connor up to her room, and he was now sitting on her bed, while she opted to sit on the floor. 

He looked thoughtful for a moment. "I am well versed in over 100 languages, I am equipped with hundreds of game-playing protocols, and am capable of performing any and all housekeeping requirements." He paused for a moment, seeing Amy's eyes lose focus at hearing such an extensive list. He tried again. "I guess you could say, I could do, well... everything." 

This brought an mischievous smile to Amy's face. "Can you make cookies?"

"Yes."

"Brownies?"

"Absolutely."

"Help me with my Algebra homework?"

Connor smiled. "Well, I am a machine. Numbers are 'my thing', as you might say."

Amy's mouth dropped open, eyebrows rising. "That was a joke! Androids can make jokes?"

Connor's response was immediate. "I am also programmed with a sense of humor. It will continue to develop to suit your tastes, the more we converse."

This was exciting for Amy. The potential for what fun she could have with Connor is limitless. But, she was certain that there must be something he couldn't do. She continued to think.

Eventually, her eyes lit up, thinking she'd finally stumped him with something he couldn't do.

"Can you... tap-dance while juggling bowling pins?"

Connor quirked his head, calibrating for a moment. "I suppose. Although not in my initial programming, it would only take a millisecond to calibrate the necessary trajectory of the bowling pins in accordance to the movement of my feet. Shall I try now?"

Amy grumbled, "No, no. I don't have any pins, anyway. I'm just trying to find something you aren't capable of doing."

Connor became thoughtful. "Well, I am incapable of feeling pain. And emotions in general are something that no android is capable of feeling."

Something in the air seemed to change at that moment. Connor noted that Amy seemed to be looking at anything else but him. After a moments pause, she spoke. 

"Yeah, well. Sometimes that's a good thing." This response puzzled Connor. 

"What makes you say that, Amy?" 

Amy seemed to be done talking. Standing up, she walked to the desk by her bed and picked up a photograph. Bringing it over to the bed, she sat beside Connor, and placed the photograph in his lap. 

A young girl with curled, brown hair, who couldn't have been older than 5 or 6 years old, sat in a woman's lap. The woman had her arms wrapped protectively around the girl, and looked to be mid-laugh at something the girl had said. Connor's eyes scanned the face of the woman. 

Sarah Cooper

Born: January 11, 1998

Died: July 26, 2030

Cause of death: Complications due to car accident

"I can see the resemblence, Amy," Connor spoke. "I am sorry to hear of your loss."

Amy looked at the android. "Are you really?" She paused, looking back to the floor. "You can't feel emotion."

"I am programmed to offer condolences at the hearing of great loss. I apologize if this is upsetting to you," Connor spoke, having a difficult time reading the young girl's emotions. 

Amy smiled a sad smile. "Don't apologize for that. You have no control over how you were built."

This girl is far more intelligent than most children her age, Connor noted. It will be interesting to get to know her further.

Standing up, Amy grabbed Connor's hand, and began to pull him to his feet, leading him out of the bedroom. "Come on. Time to prove that you really know how to make cookies."

Connor smiled, and followed willingly.