Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Doctor Singh sent word through another security guard of the news that the patient had awoken. Sorin reconnected his headset and instructed the Doctor to convene at the interrogation room. As uncomfortable as the Doctor felt with the thought, he followed orders.

Protan had been led by The Doctor, the security operative and Thoughtless immediately after they had met at the elevator along the high metal staircase that housed the doorways to the interrogation room, conference room and others on the same floor. Heads raised and whispers followed from many of those on the control centre below, their suspicions now fuelled by the garments Protan wore. 

It was difficult to focus ahead of the walkway, as the view two floors from the control centre was always an admirable sight; from the closed, windowed departments along the walls of the floor; the staircases on the opposite stone wall leading up to others’ offices; the huge news feeds and screen projections on the same wall; and of course, the high spiraling ceiling that shone the first rays of sunshine through its high windows.

All the while, Thoughtless questioned the reason as to why it was important that the interrogation room was the first priority. His protests were only met by answers that pointed to protocol.

“Doc come on. You of all people must be able to change his mind. What could anyone possibly gain from this? He struggled to keep his balanced before I spoke to him. How’s anything he’s gonna say be of any value to anyone right now,” Thoughtless said under his breath as he walked ahead with the Doctor, and the security guard and Protan in tow.

“Sorin and Enigma are determined to get answers. This is not an interrogation Thoughtless. It’s purely a means to get some sort of indication of what we’re dealing with my friend,” the Doctor replied, but Thoughtless wasn’t convinced. He simply glanced back, noticing Protan’s thoughtful gaze as he marveled further at his surroundings. Their eyes finally met again for the first time since Thoughtless had started his conversation with the Doctor. Thoughtless nodded in his direction to assure him that he wasn’t forgotten. Protan returned the gesture, while the tall African American guard strode by his side.

The interrogation room had two doors along the walkway, one leading directly to the room itself where a large bare table with three chairs sat in its centre. The other door opened to the viewing room, where at least ten seats faced the interrogated at a downward angle.

Protan was led to sit in the single chair at the table. He moved nervously, and kept his eyes on everyone before he slowly sat himself down.

“Don’t worry bud, everything’s cool,” Thoughtless said, his tone timid, yet still playful as he himself sat down opposite him. The Doctor followed, as the security guard remained at the door. 

“Not sure how I’m supposed to relax when placed in an interrogation room,” Protan replied. His tone was shaky, yet a smile still remained. 

“This is not an interrogation. We just need to talk to you, that’s all,” said the Doctor, an attempt at easing Protan’s anxiety. The Doctor however, wasn’t as sure as he wanted to be about what would transpire once everyone had arrived. 

“Think of it as a conversation, more than anything else bud,” added Thoughtless. Protan’s expression eased, and he nodded absent mindedly as he dropped eye contact.

“Before the rest get here, my advice to you is that you’re honest. The people you’re about to meet have years of experience. We’re only here to get a few answers.” The Doctor’s words were calm, yet stern as he looked Protan in the eye.

“I have nothing to hide, yet there’s still very little I remember,” Protan said cautiously, and jerked his head away from the Doctor, as if the mere thought of discussing anything before arriving here either bothered or disturbed him.