(OLD CHAPTER, SKIP) Mephiles Crossplays + Knuckles Championship

(Don't worry, the comedy will kick off when this series gets regular. Also, yes, I know Kat died in ELSF, but that was in the summer.)

Sonic the Hedgehog turned to look at Shadow, deep in thought.

"Hey. Remember last summer?"

The somber hedgehog barely heard these words as he tilted his head to the evening aether and reflected. "Yeah. It was terrible." Sonic's optimistic smile didn't fade. He leaned further in his chair and persisted, "Don't be so negative! What about the good times?"

"Good? Kat was murdered last summer. She was the only friend I had since M..."

Sonic tried to get his mind off of her, "You mean I'm no friend of yours after all those hours of racing? Come on -- I'll whip us up some chili dogs while you start up the Dreamcast--"

"No, Sonic. You know, Mephiles was right. I'm nothing without my friends. I'm pathetic. So you can enjoy single player, 'cause I'm out." Shadow stormed off into the house. Sonic sat there on the porch alone.

...

"So what's up with Shadow? I saw him driving home in a hurry," asked Tails as he finished his chili dog. "Unstable as usual," the speed demon replied as he hastily shoved down another, "He keeps dwelling on that Kat chick."

"That was a big deal, you know. He fought Mephiles and saved us all, only to see his one true friend die..."

"You too?" Sonic groaned, "I've been friends with Shadow since..."

"Since you fought him over pride?" asked Mephiles, slithering into the kitchen. "Greetings Sonic," he shifted his reptilian eyes, "Tails." Sonic backed away as of he had threatened them by his mere presence. "I just thought I'd stop by after Shadow came home with minor wrist injuries. I assume you've invoked memories of his past?"

Sonic swallowed. "Y-yeah... we, uh, were talking about last summer."

Mephiles quickly jerked forward, pushing his face closer to Sonic's. "You said things about the damsel, nay?" The blue blur nervously responded, "Aye?"

"Good. I want to make sure he feels the regret for crossing me."

As he walked away, Sonic asked Tails, "Can we perform an exorcism or something, because--"

Mephiles' head swiveled around. "Excuse me?"

"AH! AH! KILL IT NOW!"

...

At the café, Rouge poured Shadow another glass of a mysterious purple liquid. "Shadow, this isn't you. The Shadow I know wouldn't be bothered by that creep. He'd suck it up and have a little pride." Shadow let out a slight chuckle. "Pride? Surely I don't have to remind you; I have nothing left."

"Shadow, you had nothing but a name and a goal when the comet struck. Want a goal? Fix your life. Ignore that Mephiles crook and get a job or something."

A familiar faker burst through the front doors with his two-tailed tag-along in tow. "My, oh my. What a crazy night! Shadow, how'd I know you'd be here?" Rouge smiled as she said, "What a surprise! Have a seat."

Sonic sat there with a smirk on his face as he said, "Listen up, Shadster. I found this great track we can rent out and have a real race. How's about tomorrow?" Shad laughed as he agreed, "Yeah, why not? Tomorrow sounds great."

That was odd.

"That way I can beat you and get my order of gun magazines in the same day."

That was better.