a friend • Young K

Mischievous blonde boy
Why is your tie undone?
I taught you how to do that when we were young.

He walked down the school corridor, fans trailing behind him, all screaming his name and desperate for his attention. He paid no attention as they tugged on his school shirt. His tie was undone, like it always was. It irked me; why did he never do it up properly like I taught him to years ago when we played like we ruled the world. Does he really not care anymore? I may sound like his mother right now but he knows it annoys me. Is that why he does it? Or does he not remember? He never could remember.

Mischievous blonde boy
I hear you sing now.
How does it feel to be popular?

He was laughing along with his new friends. They played music together, they did everything together. He didn't take any notice of all the eyes on him anymore. I don't know this version of him. We used to avoid everyone we could together, he hated all the attention. Now he acts as if the girls who swarm around him are the thing that keeps him thriving.

Mischievous blonde boy
Why do you play with girls like the toy soldiers we spent so much of our time with?

There she is. His new girlfriend. This weeks conquer. She should enjoy the attention she's getting right now as she's on his arm, because next week shell be part of the "Young K's Exes Club" which is full of half of the school he managed to get and threw away the next week. We used to play with toy soldier and cars when we were younger, but moved onto the next toy when we got bored. That's what childhood is like; always trying to find something new to take over the little attention we had, then liking something else a few moments later. But I didn't expect him to be this childish in his relationships. But what can I say, I still believe I have a chance.

Mischievous blonde boy
Why did you treat me like the china doll that your mum always kept on display because she was 'too precious' to touch?

Walking down the corridors in school was like a war. You never know who is going to push and shove you to the floor or into the lockers, or even another person. It's brutal but it's life. School life never fails to make me want to break down. I'm invisible. And It's not unusual that today I'm the one who gets shoved to the floor. I'm sprawled out on the floor, books everywhere. A hand appears and I look up. It's him. "You should be careful. Don't want to get hurt." He speaks as he pulls me up. Then he walks away.

Mischievous blonde boy
Your icy blue eyes,
they tell stories and truths,
but they also tell lies.

His smile was always dazzling, leaving me breathless. He smiled effortlessly and constantly, his natural state was happiness. So when I came across him in the music room sobbing, face painted in the colour of pain, I knew there was something wrong. But it had been a long time since he cared to talk to me so he obviously wouldn't appreciate me meddling in his problems. So I just watched him, wanting to call out but without the courage to put my feelings out on the line like that. All I could do was watch, the long lost memories of our friendship whispering in my ear telling me to go talk to him, but my heart clenching at the thought of his pain and mine.

Mischievous blonde boy

Why didn't you tell me you weren't happy.

Love,
Your imaginary friend.

I was a fool to think I was ever going to be anything but invisible to him.

I'm sorry, Brian.

I love you.

This was based on a poem I wrote (the italics) and I thought it would fit well.