"She's a good kid, Charlie. She didn't deserve any of this. She's strong and determined. They only kept her because she could be ruthless when she needed to be. I honestly hate the company for putting the fate of their plan on her."

"How did they make sure she succeeded?"

"They didn't. That's the best part. She passed the test with such flying colors that she was trusted to get there all on her ow-"

The door opened behind me again and I flipped out from under the bed. "Boo!" I said to Janice who let out a fake chuckle. I got up and looked at Janice, only able to think about the conversation that I overheard. The culling would kill me.

"Alright let's go. We are going to do the mending surgery first and then give you a chance to get used to your fixed up body." Janice said, and I nodded.

I followed Janice out of the room, my eyes darting everywhere. It was the first time I had seen the outside of my boring holding room since I had come to, so I took in as much as I could. It was a mostly boring white glossy place, but scientists kept smiling at me and nodding to me like they knew me.

I clenched my jaw shut as I realized that they did know me. They got to see through five fake years of my life. They knew me better than I did. After I realized that I started scowling at them.

Soon enough, Janice turned into one of the many rooms. Inside there was a large device and whole team of people all with gloves and masks on. I could see various gases and chemicals on shelves. The scene was a little intimidating, but I swallowed the bile in my throat and laid down under the large device as they told me to.

"Try to relax," Janice told me, but that only made it worse. Eventually, the device closed completely around me. I started wriggling, feeling very claustrophobic, but eventually, a reddish-brown gas filled the chamber, and I went completely out cold.

There were no dreams when I was down. It felt like only a few seconds had passed before I suddenly shot straight up. The device had been opened up again. I looked down to see my shirt was slightly cut a part to reveal a completely clean clavicle. I smiled, looking down at my stomach and then my leg.

I was back to normal. It felt good to not have a cast prodding my neck, and just because I could, I rolled my head around and wriggled my left shoulder. "Good as new." One of the scientists smiled at me, and despite my hatred for all of them, I thanked him. I was too excited to have my full body back.

I still felt slightly sore, but I got straight up and was feeling pretty great. That was until I had to see Janice's evil face again. "Evelyn, glad the surgery went well. I hate to take you again right away, but you'll like this."

I reluctantly followed Janice again into the busy corridors of what was probably DOME. A question jumped into my mind. "What does DOME stand for exactly?"

Janice just looked at my as we walked and smiled. "DOME stands for the Department of Malignant Epidemiology. Where you are right now is called the DOME Institution where we study very experimental man made diseases and viruses."

I wanted to blow this place up almost as much as I wanted to blow up the Black Cobra. I just nodded and kept up on our walk. It was a shorter walk to the next location. Janice sent me in alone to a room with a fresh set of clothes and shower with soap and all of the other luxuries that I had been missing out on.

This time, I didn't take any time to hesitate like I did with the food. We hardly had the water to clean ourselves as much as we'd like to at the school. It was a godsend that I could finally scrub off the blood and grime that had been building up over the last weeks.