Chapter 14

Hands clapped over her mouth, Nicholas' mother Louisa gasped. "Are you certain?"

"I am Mama." He looked toward her sympathetically. A murder so near to home was something the Sterlings, and most of the towns' people for that matter had not experienced, so it was troubling, as well as emotionally gripping. "Father," he started, looking in his fathers direction. "Even as the physician, I do not wish to stand idly by while a murderer walks free, possibly among the people dwelling in the town. I understand this is not of my jurisdiction but what do you suggest I do? You would know better than I how to handle a situation of this manner, I ask for your help."

His father sat in silence for a few moments as he soaked in the information he had just been given. The wrinkles on his forehead cinched as his eyebrows drew close in thought. Nick turned his head to see his mother equally absorbed in pondering what he'd divulged to them.

After a few more moments of no one saying a word, Nick broke through the silence informing them of his intentions. "I intend to see this through, from a medical standpoint as well as the probable investigation. I intend to do my part in finding whomever killed this man." Nick looked to his parents to determine their reaction. Louisa dropped her head, let out half a laugh and shook her head lightly saying "Nicholas Sterling you are incorrigible, but I am proud of you in the regard that you intend to see this through and do your part to bring justice. That is very honourable." Before she could add more, Matthew jutted in. "I agree with your mother, but I caution you son, the man you may be dealing with will no doubt be dangerous. Use wisdom and discernment Nick." Nick nodded in agreement. "Just as well," his father continued. "Look out for Colton, he is young but he has a good head on his shoulders so you shan't worry of him giving you much trouble. It is not only yourself you must be cautious for, it is him as well."

"Of course." Nick replied in agreement. Colton was a close friend, and their travels had brought them closer forming an almost brotherly bond between them. Nick would indeed be on alert for anyone seeking to harm either one of them. "Father, you have previous experience with situations like this do you not?"

"Indeed I do, though it has been several years since my involvement in anything of the sort, I shall assist you in any way I can, even if it be from the confines of this blasted prison your mother calls our bed." Matthew gave a hearty laugh with a twinkle in his eyes as he looked to his wife who returned with a teasing smile.

"I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could give." Nick smiled sincerely. His hand propped on his knee he then looked seriously to his father. "I have also done more extensive research on your ailment, I have come up short on definite solutions, but a partial solution I have been able to find. Since the cause remains unknown, the best I can do for you presently is to reduce the pain you have been experiencing. You have been taking laudanum have you not?"

"Yes, it has been a tremendous blessing in relieving my aches and pains. Even though the relief is short lived." His father answered with a rough cough.

"I fear your body ultimately becoming immune to the effects of the laudanum and reducing its benefit to you." Nick began. "I discovered a laudanum related solution called Rousseaus laudanum. I had previously read about it in my studies but have not used the solution before. I have managed to get the ingredients on hand. If it works, it can be grown and easily concocted." Nick replied surely.

"I suppose it is worth giving it a try. When might you have it ready?" Matthew replied looking at his son with hopeful eyes.

Nick thought for a moment before answering. "I will prepare it as soon as possible and bring it to you. I do hope it works well, that way it may relieve your pain and you may finally be able to get out of that bed!"