In The Wilson Home Kitchen

Beth didn't quite understand why her mother had asked her to wear the pink dress, the one that Chloe and Kieran had bought her in the market. It was beautiful and it was nice and cool, I'm the heat of the June day, but she had been told that it was only for special occasions. And an afternoon at home was not what her parents usually considered a special occasion- she did, but that was different. Mummy had also styled her long hair into a pretty French braid- that's what she called it- and made her wear a pair of beautiful pumps with little flowers on them.

And now she was sitting at the kitchen table, her little hands balled into fists and pressed against her cheeks while she was reading, for the fifteenth time, Prince Caspian: Return To Narnia.

"Beth sweetheart, are you cold in that dress?" Asked her Mother anxiously. "Mummy made you wear it, but if you want to wear something else..."

She raised her eyes to her mother and beamed. "I'm not cold Mummy," she replied politely. "Thank you."

Her Mother nodded and glanced at the Grandfather clock near the door.

"Mummy," called Beth. "Where are Chloe and Kieran?"

"The market, darling," replied her mother, "looking for new...things...for police training...or something..."

Beth cocked her head and nodded seriously. That was the first time she was home alone with her mother since Kieran had finished his part time job at Highleaf Academy. Usually, her siblings were there, and quite often, a bunch of cousins and her grandparents to keep her company.

"Mummy?"

"Yes Bethy?"

"Aren't Grandma and Granddad coming?" She asked, a soft smile spreading her lips.

Mummy smiled back at her. "Maybe later dear," she replied. "Grandma was...she was knitting this afternoon and granddad was working with plugs...I guess..."

Beth nodded again. "And is Bells coming?"

Her Mother smiled again, walking to Beth and kissing her head as she wrapped an arm round her shoulders. "Beth, my sweet, sweet darling," she murmured. "Bells and Will are busy." She leant her head against Beth's, their hair mixing together. "But you and I are having a guest this afternoon," she finally told her.

"Oh," she exclaimed, her eyes shining with excitement. "Who is it Mummy?"

"It's a su-"

But her sentence was cut short by a knock on the front door. Her mother whipped her head towards the hall and straightened her back.

"I will open the door," squealed Mary from the hall.

"Mary is an insolent woman," growled Eddie. "I open doors at home..."

"No! No! Both of you!" Called Mummy irritably. "Go back to doing what you were doing... Beth will open the door..." She looked down at her and smiled. "Come on Bethy, I'm sure it's for you..."

Beth felt her heart flutter with wonder. For her? Who could have been at the door for her? Her family all had keys; it had only been Great-Aunt Marie, once, who had come knocking on the front door when she had visited. Maybe it was Great-Aunt Marie again...maybe she had brought her another present from olden times and she would sit with her and tell her everything about it.

"Yes," she said, standing from the chair and hurrying to the door. She turned the key three times and unhooked the chain that kept it closed and finally pulled it open.

And stopped dead as her eyes met the slate grey ones of Terrin.

Outside The Wilson Home

Terrin pushed open the gate, his breath rattling in his chest, worry clouding his thoughts. What if Beth didn't want to see him? What if she was disgusted by the sight of him? Maybe he should just go... But his feet were walking, of their own accord, up the path. His hand raised slowly, shaking visibly, and rapped three times on the door.

Nobody answered and for a while Terrin wondered if he had made a terrible mistake. He shouldn't have come. He was just about to turn away when the door swung open. His breath caught in his throat.

Beth looked...beautiful.

Her long hair was pulled back in a plait, revealing every inch of her perfect face. Her eyes were wide and sparkling. She was wearing a pretty pink dress, that fell to just above her knees and sparkled in the sunlight. On her feet were flowery pumps. She was almost glowing.

If it were possible she looked even happier to see him standing there. "Terrin," she gasped, overjoyed. "Oh, Terrin." And that was when her arms came up and looped around his neck, tightening considerably and all his worries and doubts and fears were almost chased away. Then he felt her press her lips against his and they were gone.

He melted into the kiss, faintly wondering why he had ever put off coming to see her. He must have been insane.

All too soon she pulled away. "Terrin," she began, slightly breathlessly, "I love you."

And in that moment he knew the truth.

"I love you too Beth."

I do believe in love at first sight.