Chapter 23

A/N: Don't hate me! Don't worry, Jake will be coming up next chapter! Thanks for all the votes, comments, and fanning, and whatnot! Please keep them coming! Enjoy!

My eyes tried to open only to find them practically glued together. I lifted my hand up a little bit and rubbed my eye, yawning. Throwing my arm back to my side, I stared at the wall for a couple of seconds, trying to get a good visual of my surroundings. I noticed my phone on the drawers besides me and grabbed for it.

I opened my phone to check the time only to find two text messages and a voicemail from Jake. I rose from my bed while staring at the phone, the events from the night before crashing down on me. My hands began to tremble in fear of what they would say. Swallowing with difficulty, I opened the first message.

Hey, Kat. I’m sorry about what happened. Are you alright? Sent: Yesterday 10:56 PM

Well, I wasn’t sorry about what happened. It took me away from the thoughts of Jack for a few moments and made me realize there were other people. Yet, Jack was still looming into my thoughts, making me wish the kiss had been from him. I hit the next text message.

Are you still up? I kind of need to talk to you. Sent: Today 12:03 AM

I bit my lower lip, hit reply, and opened my keyboard. I sucked in a deep breath as my thumbs hovered over the letters, my mind trying to think of what to say. To no avail, I sighed and closed my keyboard. I let my phone gently fall on my lap with me staring at it.

1 New Voicemail was flashing on my screen. I heard a few footsteps in the hallway and my door open.

“Hey, you’re up,” I heard Dioggi, my little sister, say. “Want some pancakes? Mom’s making some.” I glanced up at her and smiled at her.

“Sure. I’ll be right there,” I said.

“Okay, good. Oh, and get dressed. Louie is here, too, and I don’t think he’ll find your jammies very cute,” she said, giggling. There was nothing wrong with my Hello Kitty pajamas, thank you very much. I gave her a look, and she left without closing my door. I figured I’d have to do it sooner than later, so I dialed my voicemail number and password. I pressed the phone against my ear and listened.

“You have. 1. Unheard message. First. Unheard message. Sent today. At. 12:05 AM,” the voicemail lady said. My stomach turned at the sound of his voice.

“Uh, hey, Kat. Are you still up? Sorry for bothering you,” I heard him say. I heard music in the background. “I don’t feel right with the way things ended, and it’s been bugging me. Call me back?” I heard the line go dead, and I slumped. It’s been bugging me, too. I exited the voicemail, deciding to ignore it for the time being.

I was greeted by a screen saver of Tabby and I downtown in front of tall towers in the back. Tabby! I quickly dialed her number to check up on her. The phone rang for a couple of moments.

“Hello?” I heard a groggy voice on the other line.

“How’s the hangover?” I asked, revealing some playful bitterness in my voice. I heard her wearily giggle on the other line.

“It’s holding out. I was surprised to wake up in my room with my mom hovering over me asking if I felt better. What’d you tell her?” she asked. I felt a little more relieved as I smiled, even though I knew she couldn’t see me.

“Told her you passed out from studying too hard. No need to thank me,” I said.

“Wow, seriously? Man, you’re good,” she replied. I rose up from my bed and stretched.