Now I'm too tired to put up with any more bullshit.

"You know, I have no idea how I got the idea that you might be in love with me. After all, I'm just your plaything. Nothing else. I'm not even good enough for you to reject that Tristan guy when he comes on to you like that."

"Stop talking like that!" he shouts suddenly, startling me. Roughly, he pushes himself back before he stands up and brushes his hair back with one hand, looking troubled. "Why is it so impossible for you to just leave certain things alone?"

Now he's one to talk. Sighing, I fall back into the flowerbed, crushing some of them beneath me and getting dirt all over my shirt. Not that I care. I stare up at the blue sky, imagining that the passing clouds are taking away some of that dull pain inside my chest. I just want to get his over with. It's unbearable enough as it is.

"Fine!" he barks and I can see him throw his hands in the air in exasperation. "I love you! That's what you wanted to hear, right?"

"What?" I ask stupidly, already sitting up straight again. Dael's looking at me as if I just caught him peeing his pants. He's actually blushing – and now I'm feeling like a jerk. A somewhat happy jerk.

My heart flutters inside my chest, though I'm way past the point of being able to make up just like that. Probably. I hate him so much.

"I'm not going to repeat myself," he snaps, crossing his arms in front of his chest. So cute. I can't help but grin. I'm way too easy. Seriously. I narrow my eyes at him, remembering what went down last evening.

"How can you say that after ditching me for another-"

"Stop talking about him like that," Dael groans, tilting his head back and hiding his face beneath one hand.

"Oh, sure. You're allowed to go nuts because I spend an evening with a friend, but you're allowed to-"

"He's my son, Allorian." Deal drops his hand from his face. I'm stunned into utter silence. Brain freeze. "I'm married."

Oh. Oh

I laugh nervously, glancing aside. Now, this went in a strange direction really fast. I've got no idea how to react to that, though I guess creepy chuckling is adequate considering the circumstances. Dael has a wife and a son, apparently. I'm slightly confused, to be honest.

"You don't have anything to say?" he asks, sounding accusing. Like, what the fuck.

"No," I reply in plain disbelief. My voice is accompanied by a laugh. Like, what. The. Serious. Fuck. Something's wrong with my head. I'm hearing things. First of all, there is no way Dael has a family. I mean, it's Dael. The evil vampire with a fucked up past. Second, what the hell have we been doing these past weeks?

"This is exactly why I wanted to wait a bit. I told you that it's complicated."

"You've got a wife," I stress. That has nothing to do with being complicated. "Do you love her?"

"No," he groans before sighing heavily. I do not know what is going on at all. It's like Dael has turned into a completely different person and I'm unable to catch up with the sudden change. "We broke up two years ago after she turned our children."

"Children?" I repeat, dumbfounded. So there's more of those guys out there?

"I've got two sons and a daughter. I didn't want her to turn them, but-"

"I really don't care," I interrupt without a shred of emotion as I get up from the bed of flowers. Not that my intention was to hurt him. Not that I enjoy seeing that expression on his face. But really, what the hell does he expect me to do? 

I laugh yet again. I wasn't prepared for this. I scratch the back of my neck nervously.

"Dael, why are you with me?"

„And here I thought you didn't care about my past," he scoffs, narrowing his eyes at me. Guess I deserve that one.

Slowly, I drop my hand to my side while averting my gaze. My mind is blank. My heart is pumping rhythmically. No clenching, no fluttering, nothing at all. I swallow – and suddenly, my eyes start burning. Even though I'm not hurting, tears escape from the corners of my eyes.

Sighing, Dael steps close and pulls me into an embrace.

"You're an idiot."

"No, I'm just really overwhelmed right now," I tell him quite casually and hide my face at the base of his neck. Considering all that I went through these past few days, I think I deserve some comfort.

"Guess that's to be expected," Dael chuckles while nuzzling my hair. He inhales deeply before placing a soft kiss on my head. I wrap my arms around his waist, pulling him even closer. His lips curl back into a soft smile. "Do you have work today?"

"I don't."

"Want to go see our place, then?"

"I think my mom's going to kill me."

"Well, your stuff's there already anyway, so we can just go without telling her."

"That does sound like a plan," I admit with a sheepish grin and lean back so I can look up at him. "But just so you know, I really hate you sometimes."

"As long as you really love me sometimes as well, I think I can live with that." He grins, regarding me with fondness. My heart stirs. I get it. I'm hopelessly in love.

"Your son hates me," I remember with a frown – while not sure how much of a problem that is going to be. Am I supposed to be his stepdad? 

Dael laughs and ruffles my hair.

"Don't worry, he'll come around. It's my wife you should worry about," he admits with a shrug before stepping away from me. My hands slip past his hips and he grabs hold of one, entwining our fingers. He's grinning smugly. "She's still hung up on me."

"Great. Please don't sound so proud when you say something like that," I grumble, firmly holding on to his hand.

"Well, Tris has been hoping that we get back together, so I guess that's why he doesn't like you," he muses.

"Dael," I groan, rolling my eyes at him. Somehow, his words aren't making me feel any better about the new addition to the family – and he actually dares to smirk at me after saying that. I scowl at him, though playfully. I do remember that he said he loves me, after all. "Didn't you want to show me our place?"

"Most definitely. Especially now that you've started tasting half-decent again." He laughs before pulling me towards the car. It's an emotional rollercoaster with him, but I'm sure we'll be able to extend the steady periods over time.

I sit down in the passenger seat and wait for him to take his place as well.

"By the way, I need a new cellphone. I thrashed mine yesterday after I got that text from you."

"So you were that jealous, huh?" he inquires with this smug grin that drives me crazy on so many levels. I cross my arms in front of my chest.

"Well, what was I supposed to think? He said that you're just playing around with me and neglecting him because of it - and then you pulled him away while holding hands," I tell him grudgingly, causing him to chuckle.

"At least now you know how I've been feeling."

"Keith is just a friend," I sigh.

"And Tris is my son, I think that makes it even more unlikely for anything to happen between us."

"Fine. Point taken. And since we had a deal, I'm not going to dance with him anymore."

"And no sleep-overs," Dael adds flatly.

"Where's he supposed to sleep now, anyway?" I grin lopsidedly. "After all, I thought we were going to share a bed."

"Sounds good to me," he replies in kind and starts the engine. 

________

So, what do you think? Did you expect that? xD

XOXO

T.