Chapter 2

The Amazon Kingdom was once inhabited by women. Only Amazon women. There are no kings nor princes. Just pure-blooded Amazon women.

How did the foremothers reproduce?

Through the Sequoia.

In the right age and maturity, the Amazon woman is obligated to eat a fruit from the sacred tree on a traditional fertility dance which happens every last Friday of the year. It will be the Heaven's decision to give a daughter and to determine how many daughters an Amazon woman should have.

Amazon has been a peaceful kingdom for millennium, ruled by an Amazon Queen. But it all changed when the Red Moon appeared. Mai Diana told me how Grandmai Era described it to her. Trees slowly turned into ashes. Fields turned into the murkiest liquid. Stars vanished as the night became darker than usual. And the most horrifying of all was the materialization of Mother Nature's nightmare. The coming of the shadows.

Balance is an essential element of Nature. This is the belief of the Amazons. We also believe that if there is an imbalance in Mother Nature, that will be the destruction of the whole Amazon Kingdom. When there is imbalance, there are shadows. These are monstrous creatures that destroy everything with just a touch of one of their hundred tentacles.

That is why, taking care of nature is our utmost responsibility. We would not survive if Mother Nature was destroyed.

When the shadows appeared two centuries ago, the Amazon Kingdom was in a state of confusion. Mother Nature is perfectly fine. They have fulfilled their responsibility. What happened? What made these shadows invade their territory?

The Generals and Queen Xena (the Queen of Amazon at that time) along with their shamans, fought long and hard until all their energies have been exhausted. Grandmai Era and the other Generals thought hope already left their side.

That's when help came their way.

The peregrines.

They are those who are not born in the Amazon, and they are mostly men. Queen Xena let them pass through the portal gate in desperation.

They helped the kingdom win against the shadows, preventing the destruction of the whole Amazon Kingdom. Queen Xena was also saved by the leader of the peregrine warrior in the brink of death which kindled a forbidden love between the two of them.

An Amazon warrior cannot love a peregrine, but Queen Xena broke this rule. After all, the kingdom will not be standing 'til now, without the peregrines. Thus, she married the leader of the peregrine warriors.

As a reward, the next generation of peregrine kings from the blood of the first King of Amazon can marry an Amazon woman to be his queen and share her power to rule. However, there is a limitation. Men and women from the royal blood are the only peregrines allowed to be in the kingdom so that Amazon will remain as the home of women warriors.

This alliance between Amazon and the peregrines actually has a positive impact. We provide the natural resources to be traded with the peregrines' advanced weapons. The Generals will give the same amount of protection to the King and his family, while the latter will train and teach the warriors of the strategies and techniques in battle.

That's why I want to be one of the Generals. Pangarap kong protektahan ang pamilya ng hari.

"I swear he looked at me!"