CAGES

SAVAGES

Two months of Arthur Fontanilla's candidacy went smoothly as everyone had hoped. Dianna spent most of her days attending numerous charity events and outreach programs. By night, she worked tirelessly to make her husband's speeches. It even reached to the point that one of Arthur's public speeches in a ceremony, for which she had written and drafted, had gone trending through social media. At the town of Guadalupe, particularly young people, Arthur was quoted everywhere. His popularity amongst the villagers was undeniable. His victory was nearly at its peak.

But one Monday morning, as Dianna Fontanilla was just about to leave for another charity event, waiting for her drivers in the living room of the mansion, an announcement was made on the television. "Former Congressman's daughter, Sarah Marquez, running as a mayor at Guadalupe..."

Standing near the brown-leathered couches, the announcement caught Dianna's attention with peculiar curiosity. With her eyes almost always glossy with tears, she stared at the image of the young, but strong woman on the screen.

"The young lady had just filed her late candidacy this morning.... "

Young as she may looked but Dianna already felt that Sarah Marquez's broad shoulders, high cheek bones and intellectual eyes filled with virtue and honour were a threat to her husband's position as a current mayor.

"She just finished and passed the bar few months ago yet, here she is now. She may be young and quite inexperienced but her intellect and contemporary approach about the current overwhelming issues of the town in today's society is something to consider..."

"A rationalist..."

"Highly intelligent..."

"She did not grow up in her father's custody and was never influenced his political agendas."

"Had volunteered nationwide...."

"An advocate for women...."

For some reasons she could not understand, Dianna Fontanilla could not take her eyes off the television. There was this indisputable force that was pulling her to believe that a woman like Sarah Marquez was no ordinary. Her husband's opponent would have been revolutionary. She might not have an extensive experience in politics but she could have a good chance of winning. And that could happen if Arthur would choose to fight fairly.

"Oh look, she says hindi sya sumusunod sa yapak ng tatay nya. Isn't she a walking contradiction?" Dianna was forced to turn around and greet Jackie. "I can't believe she has all the guts to fight against Arthur." The political advisor added in disdain. Dianna on the other hand, decided to look away from the television. Suddenly, she just found Arthur Fontanilla walked down the stairs towards her. And again, Dianna was forced to look away, this time, from her husband.

"So I heard," Arthur said once he reached her spot, standing a little too close beside Dianna.

And surprisingly, Jackie responded, "But we have Dianna." Her husband's right hand automatically wrapped around her waist tightly. Dianna Fontanilla tried her best not to flinch from his touch, but she could not help but to feel the discomfort he was always bringing her. "Everything that Sarah Marquez is promising, your wife has already done all of them. Even exceeded them." But none of them appreciated her. Not even her husband who, after the death of their daughter did nothing but to pursue his infidelity. When was the last time he seriously thanked her about everything she had done for him? Dianna could not remember. And if it was indeed true that she had done everything already then why the hell were they telling her that it was all-impossible, the projects, the speeches, the charity events, the courage, the generosity without her husband?