ETERNAL

– HEART OF GLASS –

Once a heart is lost, it is lost forever....

"Will you marry me?"

Emily was snapped from her lucid thoughts when the four excruciating words of Henry De Dios echoed in her ears. Her brown piercing eyes blinked. Her pupils suddenly dilated. She gulped. She sighed. Emily tried to keep her expression straight, to hide her shock. Her disbelief.

Emily looked down and found herself staring at the red small velvet box in front of her. It rather terrified her to know that an expensive ring was waiting for her fingers to be worn. But never had she imagined for this day to come. Emily thought she made her signals clear, that she had no intentions of committing to a relationship with Henry. She would not deny that she enjoyed his company and that she had always been with him in friendly terms. But this was just beyond her expectations to happen.

When Henry tried to hold her hands, she pulled away. When he acted romantically, she did not return the gesture. She continued to deny him of any actions that would indicate she was interested on officially dating him and being with him in romantic terms. Let alone marrying him. No matter how eligible, how kind, gentle and loving Henry De Dios is, Emily could never fathom herself marrying once again.

Slowly and uncomfortably, Emily gently pushed the box away towards Henry. As expected, he looked rather unconvinced. But knowing Henry, he tried his best not to show his disappointment. "Henry." She sighed and shook her head. "I- I'm sorry-"

"Hear me first, will you?" Emily looked away before clearing her throat and facing him once again. At least this time, she should at least let him talk.

"Okay."

"We're not getting any younger anymore." That's true but romantic quests were not her priority. Emily was more than satisfied to be alone. "Mark this as a business proposal Emilia. This is both equally beneficial for us. I do not know what it is but I know you must have a good reason as to why you kept your business with the Montenegros even if you do not have to or even if you have the entire power to say no. I am not blind."

"I know you aren't Henry."

He nodded. "I am willing to be by your side and keep your motivation going. I know you have not reciprocated my gestures but I promise you the world. Do you want to grow old alone?"  

Poor Henry. In Emily's eyes, he seemed so pure. So innocent. Loving. Caring. And she deserved no man like him. He was more than perfect for her. He deserved someone else. Lastly, he did not know her.

Emily's eyes were almost teary. She gulped once again. "I do not mind it. Even though one must say I should mind it, I really do not." How many men have tried to propose her something so similar? "I do not want to tarnish our friendship Henry. Please. I know there will be someone out there for you. Who is," she inhaled. "So much better than me."

"No one is so much better than you Emilia."

"You do not know me." She sternly said. "You do not know my past. You only know my present."

"Does it matter? It's the future we should look forward to." Henry calmly said. "Is this about Margaret's accusations? That you married the old Signor Guidotti for money?" The corner of Emily's lips quirked a little.

"The past shaped my present. The present will then shape my future." Emily sipped her shiraz before finding Henry's curious gazes.

"I will never convince you, would I?" Henry smiled genuinely this time and took the red velvet box with him. Instead of being outraged or annoyed or disappointed, Henry looked more rather curious, as if he just adored her even more. If that was the case, then he must be one of the rarest and most genuine persons she'd known in her life. She smiled in return. Her sign of gratitude. "I do not want to tarnish our friendship either."