Chapter Sixteen: Part One

Start from the beginning

Forneus chuckled and snapped his fingers again, the mattress floating up off the floor, and returning to its proper place on the bed frame. "You are most welcome." He turned to Phenex, looking far too pleased with himself. "I told you that was the cure."

Phenex opened his mouth to reply, when another knock came at the door. Exchanging a look with both Forneus and Gwen, he shrugged. In a few quick strides, he had the door open, admitting one of Hermes' personal aides into the room.

"Begging your pardon for the interruption," said the messenger (Entidus, Phenex thought his name was) without preamble. "But it seems a complication has arisen in regards to"—he glanced furtively in Gwen's direction, as if just noticing her for the first time, and continued in a hushed whisper—"the artifacts. An emergency meeting has been called, and your presence is required in the council chamber."

"Very well, then." Phenex sighed. "Has anyone informed Commander Asclepius? He oughta be in the Training Facility right about now, awaiting our arrival."

The aide nodded. "Commander Asclepius and Lieutenant Lyka are making their way to the council chamber as we speak."

"Then there's no help for it," said Forneus. To Gwen, he added, "We'll be back before you know it. Is there anything else you need before we go?"

Phenex glanced over his shoulder, noting Gwen's anxious expression. "No, I'm fine. But...what should I do in the meantime?"

"Sit tight, and be ready for anything," Phenex told her. "It looks like we'll be going to Prague sooner than we thought."

*

Phenex led the way into the council chamber, the aide propping the arched, obsidian door open and allowing both operatives to enter ahead of him. Forneus fell into step beside Phenex as they crossed the threshold, making their way from the quartz walkway outside to the wide crystal steps within. The bright, semi-spherical chamber glittered all around them, rounded walls of moonstone gleaming in shades of white, blue, and yellow beneath a ceiling of pink sunstone. A globular chunk of amethyst was fixed at the apex, casting violet rays of light onto the walkways below.

Exchanging a look, they climbed the crystal staircase, neither uttering a word as they came to the circular dais at the very top. Phenex swept his gaze over the boxed tiers lining the chamber walls directly in front of them, each tier dedicated to one of the three echelons. The lowest tier, that of the Third Echelon, had box seats of jade, complete with uniquely carved, high-backed chairs.

The second tier was broken into three sections, so that the box seats sat on the left and right of the chamber, as well as the middle. The tiers were made of citrine, while the chairs were crafted of gilded silver and gold; these belonged to the members of the Second Echelon.

Above them was a long circular half-tier, and unlike the ones below it, it wasn't comprised of box seats, but rather of a simple platform of pure, black onyx. Each of the chairs—save for one of pure gold—were made of carved white marble.

The beautifully crafted tiers weren't what had Phenex's attention, however. The entire top tier—belonging to the Upper Echelon, those members of the council who had final say in all matters—was empty, as were several of the other seats in the tiers below it. Coming to the centre of the dais, both he and Forneus dropped into identical bows, announcing themselves.

As they stood, Phenex cast another look around the chamber. When it was clear that no one else would be joining them, save for a handful of members from the Fifth Unit, he shrugged.

"Not my place to question the will of the gods," he muttered. He cast a surreptitious glance at the third tier, where Artemis was slowly making her way down the steps toward the oblong strategy table at the opposite end of the dais.