Chapter 6 - Hunter In Training

*Warning: This chapter may have some triggering scenes about sexual assault. Please read with caution and self care.

Beads of sweat drop down my face and I focus on Dean across from me, who looks just as sweaty as I do. The difference is the cocky smile plastered on his face, the complete opposite of my frustrated glare.

"Just focus." He says, holding his fists up defensively.

"I am." I growl before lunging at him.

He blocks my punch, swivelling out of my way as I stumble past him. I grunt and turn back, throwing my foot forward. But instead of kicking him in the stomach like I wanted, he instead catches my foot. I lose my balance and fall to the mat with a thud, my cheeks flaring red with embarrassment.

I've been practicing my fighting skills with Dean for weeks now. I began with Sam, but he was going way too easy on me. He was afraid of hurting me, which really made learning hard. So I asked Dean, who was all too willing to help me. The difference is, he doesn't go easy on me. In fact, he is going really hard on me. Which means I suck.

"You go straight in for the kill, sometimes you got to hang back and let them make the first move. Offence isn't always the best tactic." He states.

I huff and sit up, my face set in a permanent scowl. Dean offers me a hand and I reach up, accepting the help. He pulls me to my feet, the both of us trying to catch our breath. I walk over to the table and grab the two water bottles, turning and tossing one to Dean. He catches it easily and looks at me, "You're not doing bad, Avery."

"Yeah, but I'm not doing good either." I state before taking a long drink. I swallow the cool water, realising I'm more thirsty than I thought, "I mean, I haven't even landed a hit on you yet."

"Yeah, but I'm an incredible fighter." He states cockily and I roll my eyes, "You're arrogant is what you are."

"Is that any way to talk to the guy that's been kicking your ass for the last hour?" He asks, "I just want you to be ready. Because monsters won't go easy on you. They go for the kill. And I don't want to see you get killed."

I look at him and smirk, "Why Dean, I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

"Yeah, yeah. Don't get used to it." He murmurs before beginning to walk to the door, "Let's go eat."

I reach down and grab my exercise towel to pat myself dry as I walk after him. Dean and I have a deal. If I'm able to beat him in a fight, he'll let me go on a hunt. That's why I'm so determined, because I want to prove to him and Sam, that I can do this. I can be a hunter. I just have to beat one of the best hunters in the world in a fight. How hard can that be?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I rub at my temples, my head pounding as I try to think of the correct answer. I've been in the library with Sam for the last two hours, him quizzing me on different lores. While Dean has been teaching me the more physical side, Sam as been teaching me the more mental side of hunting. But I've been making a few mistakes and finding it hard to recall the right answers. This is one of those times.

"You'll get it, Aves." Sam states, taking in my frustration.

"Stop patronising me, Sam." I snap, glaring in his direction.