Hold on tight

"I can't see anything," Lu said and as he said it realized it was probably what everyone said. Well, that is, everyone who ever went into this tent. With Penelope. In The Magic Shop of Creation. After the old man at the counter. Then the merry-go-round. He decided it was better to just not think about it and stop asking questions and making comments.

But it was really, really dark.

"You'll get used to it," Penelope said easily as if she had been there many times before.

Breaking Lu's own vow to not ask questions or make comments, he couldn't help it.

"You've been here before?"

"Many times."

Lu had about 42 more questions but decided to stop with that one and let it sink in. He at least had to ask them in his mind. Why did she keep coming back? How was he supposed to help her? Why couldn't she tell him how he could help her? Why wasn't he going to like it? Could they find the exit and maybe just get one more cotton candy? Even a small one?

He didn't say anything.

His eyes did adjust to the blackness. But only to a dark gray. It went from a pure black to a lighter shade of black—if that was even possible.

He looked in front of him, up and down. He couldn't see his own feet. He looked to his left, nothing. He looked to his right and saw a silhouette. He relaxed his eyes and soon Penelope came into view.

The initial look on her face was one of worry. But as she came more into focus it changed and she became friendlier. His shoulders dropped and he realized he had been tense.

"Are you ready, Lu?"

"Uh," he started. "I guess so."

"Take my hand," she offered. "We're going to walk straight ahead. I can't tell you any more but don't let go of my hand no matter what. OK?"

"Is it going to be scary?"

"Yes."

"Are there spiders?"

"Spiders?"

"Yes."

"No."

"I think I'll be OK then."

"Hold on."

"I'm holding on."

"A little tighter."

"I'm holding on tight."

She took the first step forward and although he could barely see her, he could see her foot take that step.

The thing he couldn't see was anything under that foot. Or anywhere else anywhere.

He took a step and his foot fell onto nothing. His first thought was that he was going to fall and he squeezed her hand even tighter.

"Here we go," she said.

He held onto her hand as tightly as he could without hurting her and tried to be brave.