Prologue: Q tense

"Captain's log: Star date 77504.2.  It's been 10 years since I gave captaincy to my former lieutenant commander Data, and I'm still missing my old ship. We're on our way to study strange particle fluctuations in the Mutara Nebula. I hope we can turn up something promising for the scientist teams to extract from. As for myself, I'll be spending most of it reading a good book and drinking hot Earl Gray Tea."

He says this, tapping off his log entry on the USS Nirvana, an Intrepid class. Captain Jean Luc Picard walks onto his bridge, feeling both a sense of familiarity and isolation despite having at least a dozen crew members with him there. He missed the Enterprise, but he never let it show. Soon, the ship jumped out of warp 9.975, straight in front of the Mutara Nebula.

"Sir, we've calibrated our sensors so they may scan the inside of the Nebula. If we find this unknown particle in there, it should show up." Says Commander Geordi La Forge, looking at the old Captain, then back at his consul.

"Good. Send out a class III probe to enhance it further. See to it that we find this particle in there. I'll want a full report to be done." Picard said.

"Yes sir." Said Geordi.

The captain then walks into his captain's room. Before entering, he turns around to speak to Geordi again. "You still considering the Captain's chair?"

"At some point captain. I'd love to become the captain of a Galaxy class. Still miss the Enterprise D." he says.

"I've heard that the USS Challenger is up for grabs. Perhaps consider it. She's a good ship." Picard said.

"I'll be looking into it sometime, captain. But for now, I'd still like to be at the side of an old friend." Geordi said.

"Yes, yes. You have the bridge, Mr La Forge" he says as he walks into his captain's room.

Just as he does, he sees someone sitting in his chair, turned away. Picard, in all of his years as a captain, can guess pretty well who's sitting in his chair.

"I know it's you, Q." he says, in a grim tone.

The chair swivels around, and sure enough, it's Q: wearing a Fleet Admiral's outfit.

"Un tres, mon capitaine. It's good to see you again. You look so weathered and old, my friend."

"Get out of my chair!" Picard says sternly.

Suddenly, he's instantly switched places with Q.

"Oh but of course. Since I'm not here for no reason." Q says.

"I already know about any of your schemes, Q."

"Mon capitaine, I'm not here to scheme as you put it. I'm just simply bored. Here's a question: 'If a captain can be on the bridge, what about the bridge be on the captain?'" Q asks.

Picard just glares at Q, uninterested in his ramble.

"Tsk tsk, Picard, you should be careful with your answers."

"No, I don't need to answer, because it's simp-"

"Well, I'll just be going now, since you clearly want the answer to be yes." Q snaps his fingers.

"NO! Q, do-"