"I probably will one day, but not tonight and not because of you."

Then he was gone. I felt as though I had been punched in the back and fell forward, finally close enough to reach out and touch Aiden. His hand twitched, and his breathing sounded as raspy as mine, but he was there. Looking over my shoulder as I scrambled closer to him, Brianna had Antonino and her sisters circled around him so he disappeared from my view. What ever they were humming, had him screaming and that woke Aiden up.

"Gods, Sam. You okay?" He pulled me against him as he took a second to look around. 

The humming got louder and that got his attention as we slowly stood up. With a quick check of me, he looked towards the witches. What was left of his jumped was torn away, while I felt weaker than I ever had in my entire life. I was cold, sore and exhausted. He was alright, that's all that mattered now and to just run away home and move on from it all sounded like a fantasy we could achieve. Instead, he clearly didn't have the same issues as I did as he headed towards the circle. It was Brianna that moved, letting him in and the light that tried to sneak out was blinding as though you were looking directly into the sun. Now I knew why Antonino was screaming so much and Aiden took the sword offered to him.

The screams stopped.

The witches went quiet.

It was over.

Aiden emerged and Brianna stopped him for barely a second, her hand on his shoulder as the pair gave a little nod to each other. That was what he did after all, what the coven couldn't. Their intentions to stop a monster, didn't end with them killing him. They were of the light after all and Aiden, well it didn't matter to me what he was made of or what he did, because he was mine. I didn't know whether to scream, cry or faint and as he turned my way I thought I might just do all those things, only the look on his face wasn't what I was expecting. Shock, anger, no pure rage took place of the exhaustion and then fear. 

Turning to look behind me, I froze as David stood there. A portal at the ready just beside him only all I could see was the empty black circle of the gun in his hand.

"It didn't have to be this way Samara. Come with me now, or I will kill you." He threatened.

"Don't do this. Antonino is dead and-"

"Fuck him." He spat. "You will come with me."

"No."

He closed his eyes and dipped his head slightly before looking up and our gazes met. "Goodbye then, Samara."

The gun went off, the bang so loud and violent, my ears rang with the sound. The bullet hit with such force it was like being swallowed by a tornado as darkness swarmed around me with a woosh and for the briefest of seconds I felt Aiden catch me. His arms were tight and protective as he seemed to be hunched around me, yet I didn't feel safe or like I belonged there. Opening my eyes I only saw darkness and the man holding me sucked in a sharp breath that sounded like pain. 

Looking up, it wasn't Aiden there at all and the eyes that greeted me were enchanting.

"Caelon?"

"Next time, let's just catch up for drinks like we did before." He gritted out between clenched teeth.

"What, I don't, what just happened?" I asked unsure what was actually going on.  

He held me as he stood, the shield around us opening as he made sure I could stand on my own. Not that it mattered as I stumbled backwards the second he let go, my mouth dropping as I took in the set of wings that were filling my living room.

He really was an angel.

"I know what you're thinking." He shrugged, and the wings vanished in the blink of an eye. "I'm not an angel."