01| new beginings

Start from the beginning

In nonchalant disinterest, I assumed it meant that I would break my ankle.

"Marcus Johns! Get your ass up before I do it for you!" my sister bellowed. The familiar scream of the school days already dampens my mood. Fucking sisters.

Groaning, I slump my way out of bed to the mirror. A tall, lanky boy stares back at me. My eyes are hooded and bloodshot and as usual I am covered in hair from the tips of my curly mane to my fuzzy forearms. Mum always said I grew too much hair--even when I was a kid.

We--my mum, sister and I--just moved to the small town of Forks Point, Missouri due to my mother's job shift. We're going to be staying here for a year at best which made me happy because I didn't think I could tolerate the high forest trees for any longer than twelve months.

I've been the New Kid so many times I'm  quite sure I have it stamped on my forehead--but never have I ever transferred in the middle of term. Everyone who was new would have already made friends and the people who were there would not want to waste time on the "weird new kid" who was stupid enough to transfer mid-term.

I look down at my worn out checkered shirt and sigh. Its not like I made friends easily anyways. Most 17 year old want to get wasted and hook up whilst I was interested in the 1940 mint edition of Archie's Digest. Even comic nerds couldn't stand me. Apparently Archie comics are a for "sissys."

I stumble ungracefully downstairs and grab the carton of juice of my sister and down it in one gulp. "Hey! Shovel-Face, what the fuck?" My mom, clad in a grey business suit, frowns disapprovingly at my sister. "Ina! Watch your tone!"

"He started it! He took my juice!" she wined. With a much needed eye-roll, I grab my back, kiss my mom on the cheek and walk to the school building.

{.}

Oakland Park was a large, beautiful institution but for a wandering student like me. it was just another large beautiful institution. I had seen too many schools in too many countries to every be amazed by one ever again.

A shrill ringtone interrupted by train of thought. Shit, I thought. Its Elena. Elena was a fellow former student at my old school who I quickly became friends with--well, until I found a shrine of me in her room one day and filed a restraining order on her after the police found out she had been stealing my blood and putting it in her lotion.

"Hey! Heads Up!"

And before I could blink, a towering mass of grey comes flying towards me and knocks me straight to the ground. The grey mass groans on top of me and rolls to the side, giving me space to breathe. "Sorry, man." I turn to see a blonde dude in a grey shirt, smiling sheepishly at me. "Didn't mean to knock you out." He stretches his hand towards me. "I'm Logan, you?"

Battered, I grumbled to myself. How strong was this guy anyways? I shake his hand and smile back. "Marcus. I'm the--"

"New Kid, I know. We don't get many strangers in town so you're kind of hot gossip today." I groan internally. The last thing I want or need is for people to notice me. It kinda disrupts the whole blending-in-till-I-graduate- thing I had going on.

"Come on," he says pulling me up. "I'll show you around."

Curious eyes peer at me as we lumber down the hallway. Jesus, you would think they had never seen a human being before. I began to notice that some of the eyes were hostile and I was on  receiving end of some serious glaring. Chill out, I'm not going to soil your territory or anything.

A small redhead walks up to us and shoots me a glare before pouting at Logan. "Logan, what are you doing with the hu--new kid?" Logan shoots her a glare. "Dont be annoying, Katera. Marcus is cool--and he isnt causing any trouble."

Causing any trouble? Did they think I was a delinquent or something? Because I wasn't. All I did was eat crisps and read Archie. I was dryer than a sheet of wood. "Um, Logan? Do people think I have some sort of record?" He let out a laugh. "Kind of--except its a record that isn't exactly your fault."

I was about to ask him what the hell that meant when I skidded to a halt. "Hey, do you feel that?" Logan shook his head. "No, what?" I began to rub my arms. "Like a tingling sensation?" He opened his mouth to answer then began to repeated the action till he resembled a fish. "T-T-Tinglin--holy shit, someone mat--"

I didn't process what he said next as my eyes shifted to the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. Jesus, she'd put any supermodel to shame. I drunk all of her in greedily; her sleek ebony hair that fell to her hips like silk, her smooth, plush pout, her long, lithe body and her eyes. God, her eyes were the most unusual and most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. They were  the color of a kaleidoscope--vibrant and colorful.

The catwalk model turned to him and every breath in his body left instantly. He wanted to be near her. No, he needed to be near her. Something inside him, some primal, animalistic force in him told him to run to her and never leave her side. She began to sniff the air like a dog trying to locate a scent. Her slender neck snapped in my direction and her eyes turned black. Black? What the shi--

She flung the person next to her with impossible strength, and in a matter of seconds had me pinned to the lockers. Every eye in the buliding was on me. Some shocked, some enraged, some wet with tears.

"Woah! Let me go, you psychopath!" The entire hallway gasped at one and I swear I heard Logan whisper, "I liked him. Oh well." She stared at me for a second then a breathtaking smile appeared on her face. Her sheer beauty knocked me out for a second--I realize know that that's the way she wanted me to react. I felt something deep and sharp sink into my neck--were those teeth?

She released my neck, cupped my cheek and whispered, "Mine."

Then shit hit the fan.

(edit: so short. so awful. i'm so sorry. it gets better.)