27 | harrowing evil anew

four months wow I am truly a mess

Bitch.

That was the first word that rang through Flame's mind as she stared into the empty blue depths of a person she once trusted with her life. The utter and absolute bitch. "What the fuck?" was the only thing she managed to spit out, the toxins in her blood affecting her breathing pattern. Short, harsh gasps escaped her nose and mouth and the rage she felt began to coloured her mind red.

"Oh don't play coy with me," Samantha began, her mouth turned upwards in contempt. "I'm sure our precious Alpha told you why I disappeared."

"Oh," Flame choked, her loud gasps filling the stuffy room, "I knew. It's just a shock, seeing you act the lapdog for a man you fear." A chuckle escapes her lips as she sees Samantha's eyes blaze with anger. "Alpha said you didn't want to be weak anymore. I can't tell what difference this is, to be honest."

"I'd rather act the lapdog for someone who actually makes a difference," Samantha retorts. Flame scoffs immediately, knowing that was absolute bullshit. Lana had told her how she had gained Stamos's trust only so she could "control the damn slaughterhouse" and turn wolves Galdoni without the side effects. "You gonna give me that bullshit, Sam? I mean, do you really believe that or is it the Galdoni blood making you go crazy?" A low growl escaped the former Beta's throat. "Oh, I forgot. You've always been psycho. It just took me forever to realize it."

Flame was goading the blonde but there was a sad truth behind her words. She had been by Samantha's side for nearly two centuries and she thought they had a real friendship. Every laugh, every cry, every hurt they've had they've shared together. There was no life before the Alpha and Sam and by the way things were going, she might have to live without both of them. Her chest began to tighten as tears glistened at the back of her eyes.

Samantha's eyes glint murderously. "Fuck you, Flame. Fuck you, the Alpha and that horde of mindless puppies you call a pack."

The next time Flame coughed, a patch of blood flew out of her throat. Her vision began to blur as the arms that hoisted her up shook from the weight of her body slumping to the floor. More blood began to trickle out her mouth as she heard Stamos bark towards Samantha, "Get her up! I need her awake--damn that Santiago! I give her one order and she fucks it up! Remind me to kill her later."

Flame doesn't see Samantha's reaction but two seconds later she feels the strength of her arms guiding her slumped body off the bloodied granite. Her body grows more numb as she feels herself being dragged towards the chair she once sat in. The click of the General's heels echoed in Flame's buzzing ears as he stretched out his hand to stroke her cheek. "Bring in the labrat!" He orders Samantha who swiftly leaves the room. Labrat? She trailed her eyes towards his smiling face and squinted them in suspicion. What the fuck was he up to?

The ball of dread that was lodged in her stomach began to rear its ugly head. Who was Sam bringing? The image of a bloodied, turned Marcus flashed in her mind. She had to attachments to the boy but he made Alpha the happiest she had ever been. If the General hurt him in anyway... She knew what happened when an Alpha couldn't fulfill their duties. She knew what the next-in-power should---no, what they had to do. Flame's shivered, not because of the poison that filtered through her system but from the absolute terror of having to take over a role she would never be ready for.

I pray to every God in every heaven imagined, Flame pleaded internally, that I never become the Alpha.

The sound of the door swinging open brought the battered Gamma out of her thoughts. Her hooded eyes flicked towards the sound and settled on Samantha holding a very familiar looking person. No, she hissed internally. They wouldn't.