t w e n t y - o n e

Start from the beginning

I feel as though Evan will not understand. He seemed angry when I received the position as Isabella's companion. I feel as though we are growing apart, and I don't want that, but I also don't want to give up this new-found friendship. I don't know what to do! I'm torn. I want to forgive and have no qualms about being friends with Isabella, but I don't want to lose my family.

I suppose I should end this letter know. I'll be sending money. I hope you'll give a little to each of the children, Mother, as there is enough extra for them each to have a little treat. And I hope you'll keep some for yourself as well. I wish you all the best, and pray that you are safe.

Your Loving Daughter,

Meredith

She sealed the letter with wax and set it on her desk as she went to dress in one of her simpler dresses. She would walk to town herself and deliver her letter, then perhaps spend a bit of her extra money, maybe on a gift for Evan. She didn't want to stay at odds with him.

Halfway down the hill from the Castle, she found herself regretting her desire to walk down to the city. The hot afternoon sun beat down upon her, and she entertained humorous fantasies of her jumping into the river or standing under the waterfall to cool off.

She laughed at the ridiculous notion, wiped her brow, and continued on.

Other than the heat, it really was a beautiful day: the sun was bright and the birds were singing from in the tree branches someplace. She could hear the waterfall falling nearby, and the sound of the rushing water was lovely, to her.

Unfortunately, it also drowned out the noise of the approaching carriage, and she jumped out of the way just as the driver finally managed to slow and stop the horses on the steep down-hill road. She stood to the side, a bit shaken.

The door of the carriage opened, and someone got out, making their way towards her.

Antony.

"What, may I ask, were you doing, standing in the middle of the road? You could have been hit!"

As he came closer, she could see that it was worry making him angry. He came to a stop, in front of her, and appraised her carefully, his brow knit with concern.

"Are you alright?" he asked her, more gently.

She nodded, stupidly.

"Are you sure? I'm really very sorry about that; the driver didn't see you in time and it's difficult to stop on this hill."

"I'm fine," she assured him. "Really, I am." She averted her eyes, not meeting his. She really didn't want him to recognize her as the "Lady" Meredith.

She glanced up at him, and saw his eyes narrow, as if he were thinking. Trying to remember where he's seen me...Oh, Isabella...Why did you have to do that last night?

"Lady Meredith!"

She groaned inwardly, but looked up to meet his gaze, directly.

"What are you doing, walking all the way to town?"

She was filled with a rush of embarrassment, and a bit of anger at her circumstances. It could have been anyone else in that carriage, and yet it was him.

"You know I'm not a "Lady" so just...come off it!" she snapped, her face flushing. She turned and pushed past him, continuing stoically down the hill, towards town; her ego was not bolstered by the fact that he seemed amused.

She was surprised to hear, after a moment, his footsteps coming after her. He grabbed her wrist, gently, and pulled her to a stop.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I'm sure that Isabella meant well, but I shouldn't have reminded you of it today."