I have no strength to argue and I let them settle me into the bed. Mom goes out to make a few phone calls and Seth settles himself on the couch by the window.

After I am given antibiotics and my arm in a cast I dose off from the painkillers they gave me. My body melts into the bed.

I wake up the following day starving. My stomach growling so loudly. Thankfully a nurse comes in to check my vitals and ask me what I want for breakfast.

“I want Cheerios and some kiwi with vanilla yogurt, plus cranberry juice please” she nods and turns to leave.  Mom steps in fully changed into her work clothes. She’s in a black pant suit combo with a crisp white shirt and heels.

“How are you feeling?” she walks over to me.

“I’m hungry” I say sitting up. She chuckles and helps me.

The nurse comes back with my food and Dr Anderson right on her heels. “Thank you so much” I say as she places the food in front of me. I waste no time and start eating. The doctor doesn’t mind as he carries on talking.

“I am pleased to say that Melissa you’ll be okay, tomorrow you will be discharged. You will get some medication and I’ll see you in a couple of weeks for your arm” he smiles at me.

A wave of relief washes over me. I am not a fan of hospitals and my not freaking out about staying two nights here took a lot of restraint from my part. Mom tells me she has to leave for work and that she’ll come back later to check on me.

I spend almost half of the day just laying in the bed. Television has nothing good on, so I use the hospital wi-fi to surf the internet. I get a call from the twins.

“Heard you’re in hospital, with a broken arm” Jackson says. I can hear the smile in his voice. “Good thing it wasn’t any of us who landed you in there?” he laughs, and Cody joins in.

“What happened?” Cody asks.

“I fell down the stairs” they both howl in laughter. I laugh too, realising how much I miss having them around. We talk for a few more minutes until they have to go back to their lectures.

Dad also calls to say he’s sorry he can’t come visit. He’s at a conference in London. He promises to see me the moment he gets back.

The nurse comes back with lunch and doses me again with some medicine after I finish eating. I fall asleep and get woken up by some voices. When I open my eyes I see my friends surrounding the bed.

They all greet me with warm smiles and hugs. “You scared me” Kayla whispers in my ear before she pulls back.

They all bombard me with questions about what happened. I tell them how I ended up in the hospital. They have genuine looks of concern on their faces. Kayla looks like she’s going to cry. I hold her hand and she smiles. You’d think I just woke from a coma with the way they’re carrying on.

“Are we having a party. Why are there so many people in here?” my brother says from the doorway. I beam at him while the others give him weird looks, well every one else except for Kayla.

He walks over to me and plants a kiss on my forehead. “Guys this is my brother Seth. The computer genius I told you about” I introduce him to the gang.

They greet each other. He smiles at Kayla and her cheeks turn red like a ripe tomato. We all continue having conversation with each other and about an hour later my friends leave but not before saying a quick prayer. Kayla leaves me with the work they did today at school. God bless her soul, that girl always puts others before herself.

“You have good friends” Seth says from his seat beside me. “I’m glad you found people who truly care about you” he holds my hand.

I smile at him. My eyelids feel super heavy due to the medication and surely soon enough I give in and fall asleep.

I wake up the next day excited to be going back home. The past two days in this hospital bed were just enough to drive me a bit crazy. Dr Anderson comes to remind me that I’ll see him in a month to have the cast removed.

Mom picks me up and drops me off at home, returning to work. Thankfully I don’t get bored. I do the work that Kayla brought for me at the hospital. Persephone sleeps by my feet. I really missed the sound of her purring.

I eat some cereal and pop some of the pills that were given to me. Sleep once again consumes me while watching an episode of survivor.

I wake up to something freezing cold being pressed up against my cheek. “Ouch!!” I sit up on the bed to see my father smirking at me.

“I’m recovering from a fever” I huff. “How could you do this to me?” I whine.

He laughs. A full on belly laugh, “I know. That’s why I brought you something that will make you feel better” he pulls out a tub from a plastic bag.

“GELATO!!!!!” I scream at the top of my lungs. He hands me the tub, with a spoon. Probably got it from the kitchen.

“Pistachio” I say with a spoonful of ice cream in my mouth. I don’t care if I’m on the road to recovery. It’s GELATO for crying out loud!

He sits next to me on my bed. “So how are you feeling?” he takes out a second spoon and helps himself to ice cream.

I missed moments like this with him. Just hanging out and talking. I shrug at his question “I’m okay. Feeling pretty peachy thanks to the painkillers” I let Persephone lick my spoon.

Dad twists his face in disgust “You love that cat too much” he shudders.

I roll my eyes. “You got her for me, so if anybody is to blame then it’s you”.

I don’t get what the deal is. I always do this with the cat. It’s become our ...lifestyle for lack of a better word.

Dad leaves 2 hours later after getting a call from Lauren, I get out of bed and pick out an outfit for school tomorrow.

I get some dark skinny jeans, a black tank top and Jackson’s blue hoodie. I have hoodies that belong to all three of my brothers. I just love being in their clothes ‘cause mainly they smell like them and that gives me a sense of comfort and security.

I know Dr Anderson said that I should stay home for the rest of the week but I just can’t bare being alone for two more days. I love my personal space but I’m also not a hermit.