03 | Hook, Line and Sinker

Dedicated to SurroundedByThorns for the banner.

Listen to Out ta Get Me which is originally by Guns n Roses but the video's a cover by Halestorm.

HEADS UP: I changed the spelling of Wren's name in Walter's previous tweets to Ren. It's relevant later on.

03 | Hook, Line and Sinker

“W-Wren.” A nervous swallow hidden behind a practiced smile. “What are you doing here?”

I walked up to him and wrapped my arms lovingly – and painfully – around his waist.

“I saw your Tweet,” I replied with what I hoped was a very girlfriend-like squeal, “and I just had to surprise you because I missed you so much!”

Walter tensed up even more – either at my words or the ultrasonic tone of voice I was using on him – and I wondered if this must be how it felt to hug a marble statue.

"Uhh."

Watching The Devil squirm was well worth the trip here.

“Aren't you going to introduce me to the guys?" I purred as I discreetly pinched him in the arm.

That brought him to back to Earth.

Walter gave me an acidic look before turning to his friends and flashing them a wide smile. “Babe, I've told you all about the guys,” he lied with ease. “This is Jackson, Kohl, Brady and Shaw.” He pointed to each one as he said their names.

“Hunny-bun's told me all about you,” I lied with just as much ease as Walter did. “I'm so glad I finally get to meet you!”

Shaw studied me intently. “He's kept you a secret.”

“But I can definitely see why,” Kohl continued for him.

It took me a second but I smiled politely at his words.

Considering most of the interaction I've had with the male half of the Homo sapiens sapiens subspecies consisted of Lou, Dad and their daily comments about how I looked like a raccoon when I got out of bed, actual compliments about my appearance were near-foreign to me.

“I don't think you guys should be hitting on Quinn's girl," Brady warned his friends in a tone that was friendly but all-business. “He could make your life a living hell.”

“Oh, that's just silly – my Walty wouldn't hurt a fly!” I giggled. “I can hardly imagine my little hunny-bunch here making anyone's life hell.”

Lou, who stood well within earshot, started laughing – hard – at the irony.

Kohl's laughter, though, was almost as loud as my brother's.

“Walty?” Brady smirked.

Jackson wasn't even hiding his wide grin. “Hunny-bunch?”

“You actually call him those names?” Shaw was just getting pinker by the second.

“Oh, he actually called me to call him that,” I smiled conspiratorially as I hugged him even tighter. “So don't let him fool you because he secretly loves them – don't you, hunny-bunch?"

“Of course I do, my little nutter-butter.”

His words, combined with the fact that he had suddenly wrapped his arm around me, made all thoughts of embarrassing Walter in front of his friends fly out of my mind.