Chapter 10:My wife's lost father

Start from the beginning

Tu Qing Min was angered by Chen Quan Ran's flaunting his nephew's death but he didn't show his anger in front of the court officials and the emperor.

'General Chen, you don't need to use a vicious tone to speak,' Tu Qing Min said. 'I'm not interrogating your wife to take revenge on you. This is an official interrogation. Keeping an enemy spy in the imperial city is a serious offence.'

***

Chapter Ten (Part 2)

'General Chen, you know the clearest about the ongoing tensions between the Northern Empire and Southern Yue,' Tu Qing Min said.

Tu Qing Min glanced coldly at Mo Lan.

'General Chen it is true your wife's wisdom is infamous,' Tu Qing Min said. 'But what happens when the Northern Empire and Southern Yue are at war with each other? I fear General Chen's conflict of interest will affect your ability to protect the Northern Empire and put all our lives at risk.'

Tu Qing Min's words were reasonable and made Tu Qing Min appear like a patriotic citizen. But Tu Qing Min's words infuriated Chen Quan Ran, he couldn't tolerate Tu Qing Min implicating his wife as the catalyst for Southern Yue to invade the Northern Empire. He wanted to behead Tu Qing Min, cut Tu Qing Min into pieces to feed dogs.

An imperial guard rushed into the room while Chen Quan Ran was contemplating murderous thoughts.

'Your majesty... General Fang is here to see you,' the imperial guards said.

Everyone was surprised Fang Mu Chu would return to the imperial city after his recent visit.

Fang Mu Chu's second visit was peaceful so he only brought two personal guards to the imperial city.

Fang Mu Chu's intimidating aura frightened the court officials especially Tu Qing Min who dared to interrogate Fang Mu Chu's daughter.

Fang Mu Chu dismissed the court official's presence. He bowed to the emperor, stood and his complex eyes looked at Mo Lan.

Fang Mu Chu stepped toward Mo Lan.

'Can I... see your earrings?' Fang Mu Chu asked.

The first time Mo Lan met Fang Mu Chu she thought she was meeting an enemy general. But their second meeting was acknowledgement of their father and daughter bond. She couldn't control her composure while her father stood in front of her. She felt a connection with her father before she knew they were related by blood. Her connection with her father was stronger after she knew the truth about her birth.

Mo Lan took off her earrings and she passed it to her father.

Chen Quan Ran stood protectively next to Mo Lan while Fang Mu Chu inspected Mo Lan's earrings.

'Indeed you're Xiao Sheng's daughter,' Fang Mu Chu said in a shaky voice.

Fang Mu Chu thought Mo Lan had Xiao Sheng's eyes and his lips. His hands clutched the earrings like he wanted the earrings to blend into his flesh.

Mo Lan and Chen Quan Ran exchanged a look with each other while the court officials didn't know what to do about the father and daughter reunion between General Fang and Mo Lan. Only the emperor stayed calm like even if the emperor lost the kingdom it wouldn't have affected the emperor's calmness.

'Your majesty, I pledge as long as I'm alive I promise Southern Yue will never invade the Northern Empire,' Fang Mu Chu said.

Fang Mu Chu pulled out a treaty and he passed it to the emperor's personal eunuch.

The eunuch gave the treaty to the emperor. The emperor read the treaty, 'Southern Yue promises to treat the Northern Empire as a brother kingdom and wants to maintain a peaceful bond with the Northern Empire.'