the holding of a hand

[ Luka POV ]

Marinette was too busy staring off into the sky to notice Luka watching her.

Unbeknownst to her, she looks very pretty. Well, she's always looked pretty. But right now, in particular, she looks extraordinary. Her head is raised, the light brightening her skin and illuminating her eyes. Her lips are slightly parted in awe, and Luka finds himself unable to look away.

Suddenly, something takes over Luka. He feels as if a thin, heavy layer were laid on top of him, a ghost of some sort.

Before he can stop, Luka finds himself speaking.

"Marinette."

What is he doing?

Marinette looks down, her eyes focusing on his.

Luka then lifts his arm and points at Marinette's hand.

"That looks heavy. Let me hold it for you."

Luka doesn't know what to expect. Maybe a blush, a turn of her head. The lowering of her lashes.

Instead, Marinette slowly blinks, her mind furiously whirring in her head as she thinks of what he has just said. Then she slightly slightly frowns. Luka realizes she didn't get it.

"...that's...my hand." Marinette deadpans.

Was she just messing with him, or did she really not get that he wanted to hold her hand? He looks at her again.

She holds her hand to her chest, clearly waiting some sort of clarification from Luka.

Yea, she didn't. Well, what does he say now? Does he explain it to her? Should he just reach over and hold her hand?

But once Luka focuses on Marinette again, when he once again sees her confused eyes and little frown on her lips, he can't help but feel his heart swell. She is so innocent, so pure.

Sweet Marinette.

His funny girl.

He sighs, his eyes momentarily close as a soft smile emerges on him.

Then he reaches out to hold Marinette's delicate face in his own rough hand. He gently turns her around, their faces only inches apart. Being this close, Luka can now see the softness of her lips, the small freckles that sprinkle her nose, and the emotions displayed in the depth of Marinette's eyes. If anything, she looks brighter, more beautiful than before. Especially now that he's up close.

"You know something, Marinette?"

She looks up at him with wide eyes as red slowly tints her cheeks and nose in a soft blush. Luka's heart beats steadily despite his rising emotions. He isn't nervous, he's been wanting to say this for a while.

"You are an increadibly smart, kind, and funny girl- its just that..."Then, he does what he thought impossible for him to do. He leans in, his nose gently grazing against her's as he does, only coming to a stop when their lips are centimeters apart.

He whispers,"you're pretty bad at flirting."

There is a pause when none of them even dare to breath. They were so, so close, both moving millimeters towards each other.
They were going to kiss.

At the very last millisecond, however, Marinette suddenly slips out of his hold, her legs giving way as she slumps to the floor. She sits on the ground, her face beat red as something like a wheeze escapes her lips.

Whatever dark layer that had settled on Luka suddenly lifts and Luka is left feeling like a shy mess.

"I'm sorry, was that too much?" Luka asks, making sure to give Marinette her space on the floor. But he doesn't think Marinette heard him. Her gaze is completely unfocused.