"I still have three thousand five hundred Naira from the money you gave me, but remember I still have some savings with me... "

"How much?" He blurted out angrily. "Savings from selling palm kernels? Really Nne?" His tone was becoming derogatory and I was offended.

"I take pride in what I did to save up that money Steve, and don't belittle my efforts!" I snapped, dragging off my old black leather bag from the table and standing up to leave. He scurried up too.

"That came out wrong. Please I didn't mean it like that!" He'd rounded the table and was holding my hands. "Nne, it's just that I'm worried sick of how you'll survive there. Your feeding, shower, transport fare, everything. Please understand  me"

I didn't want to talk cos I was really hurt. There was a huge lump launched in my throat which made it difficult for me to swallow. My eyes were tearing up and the last thing I needed was for Steve to see me this vulnerable.

I just nodded as he pulled me into his arms, his body so soft and cool. His heartbeat was soothing with the stray hairs on his chest tickling my ear which laid carelessly on them. His fingers smooched my skin, sending hot shivers all over my body. My hands became shaky as I struggled to hold onto my bag firmly.

"Are you okay?" He muttered, his chin resting on my head. I nodded as I swallowed hard, trying to put my emotions in place. He doesn't need to see me like this, craving his touch so badly.

He exhaled slowly and released his hold. I blinked my eyes severally to fight back the tears which had begun to form again. The lump in my throat was getting bigger and I knew I'd cry if I don't move away from him.

I was already missing him.

He dug his hand into his shirt pocket, slides out a colored paper and stretched it out to me. "Here"

I took it, and just a glance my lips curled up. "When did you get it?" I asked smiling boldly.

"Yesterday" He paused. " I needed to make sure you joined a good one"

I looked over the bus ticket he'd given me and my heart couldn't contain the happiness. No wonder he'd insisted I follow the transport company, and had even brought me here himself.

"Thank you" I murmured, but not without hugging him again.

"Your bus is on now, let's find you a comfy seat" He said taking my bag from my hands. I smiled again.

Right behind the driver, he sets my bag on the seat "I love sitting here, hope you'll like it too" He said smiling.

I arched my brow "Let's see".

Extracting my wallet from the bag, we walked off the bus leaning on another just close to it, from where we could monitor my bag. One needs to be careful lest your luggage travels before you.

Steve and I chatted about many things, but most importantly his plans of securing two mini wagons which he'd use as a taxi. He'd bought that idea off me since I threw it his way, and I was more than glad he's working towards it.

"The bus is almost ready, you need to take your seat before they come around for tickets" He said walking towards the bus. I followed him.

"108! 108!" A young man in a dirty and torn blue jeans screams while walking towards us. His multicolored striped shirt has seen better days and must be crying for a wash.

Our bus was painted white like the others, with the transport company's name boldly written across it's body. The number 108 was encircled on it just above the front light and on the side, above the transport company's name.

"Excuse me" I said to the young man who was sitting close to the door.

"What?" His tone was rather aggressive.

"That's my bag" I replied pointing at my bag which sat gently on my spot. "I need to get in".

"Why won't you passengers sit at a place once you board a vehicle? Why stressing out others who'd decided to be more useful to themselves?" He barked angrily.

"Young man, adjust!" Steve warned in a deep threatening tone. I glanced at him, silently urging him to let it go. I guess Steve's height and tone intimidated him enough since I couldn't remember when he flew down from the seat, making way for me. I scooted past him and for a second felt grateful to Steve, again.

Steve walked round the vehicle and stood beside my window so we could continue our discussion. The tattered young attendant has began collecting the tickets now, row by row. He took mine and after studying it for a second asked..

"Where you get this ticket?" His eyes were locked with mine and for a second, I was dumbfounded.

"Eh... " I muttered finding the right words to say.

"I booked it yesterday, is there any problem?" Steve answered. He was standing beside the attendant.

Surprised, I turned to my window and saw no one. When did he get there? Tell me about being tall with long legs!

"Oh OK. Make I confirm am (let me confirm it)" He responds and trots off. Steve followed suit and within seconds they were back. "Oya, next person!" He screams as though we were all deaf.

"You'll soon be leaving!" A voice said from my window. I turned to see Steve standing there.

"How do you do that? I asked smiling.

"Do what?" He was perplexed.

"Like walk from here to there, and there to here in less than a second?"

He smiles. "My legs though" And we laughed it all out.

Soon enough the driver settles in. He beckons on a female attendant who trots towards him, listening as he whispers something in her ears. She giggles.

"You'll soon leave" Steve said again, dragging my attention from the scene before me. I nod.

He places his big hand on the window pane and slides it backward, making the young lady sitting behind me to grunt. He then pushed his head into the bus a little with the most adorable smile I've ever seen, plastered all over his face.

He sticks out his tongue, swaying it sideways for me to catch apparently. I laugh and try to tickle it but he was quick to slip it in, every single time. Frustrated, I leaned closer to him making our heads to touch. His eyes smiled at me, even though I could see the traces of sadness lined underneath it. He withdraws a little and without warning leans forward, placing his lips on mine. Letting all the the adrenaline rush into my system, I quickly returned the kiss, each twist and suck forcing the world to fade from my thoughts. I didn't have to think about the other occupants, it was just Steve and I.

When he finally withdraws from me, it felt like forever that my lips were laced in his. The young man sitting beside me coughed, a way of announcing his presence.

My face fluttered. I blushed.

As though waiting for our moment to pass, the driver roared the engine to life and slowly makes his way out. I held out my left hand and Steve was quick to grab it, walking along with us as we slowly drive through the park. At the large exit when our bus was finally cleared, he let go off my hand as we swerved out of the park.

One last glance and I saw him mouth "I Love You". I didn't get to reply him but I'm sure he knows I belong with him too.
*****

Hello people 😂 😂 😂

Did I tease you so much?

I'll be posting snippets like this over time but it won't be constant. These snippets will consist mainly of her life before she joins the University fully. Her full life in the University and Steve would come out here as a separate book, so please bear with me.

And Nneogo says Hiiiii....She'sglad to be back.

PS: Have you checked out my new book Stronger Than Pain? I think you should. It's mesmerizing just like Yellow Tales 😂

Show me some love people and Vote! 😘 😘