Chapter 10: Looking British

"The plumbers are coming today."

It was Tuesday morning. Karen was in her dressing gown, eating a scone at the breakfast table. Jay was already reading the paper.

"Ok."

"You might want to get dressed- they're coming at eight-thirty."

Karen wrinkled her nose.

"Don't you want to lend me a t-shirt?"

He put the paper down.

"My clothes are difficult to put on," she told him in response to his quizzical expression.

"Let's go see what we can find." As an afterthought, he added. "Ronny's coming too. Overseer."

Jay's room was quite different from hers. Darker colours on the bed, no striped wallpaper in his space. His walls were a stark white, decorated by colour photographs of places. No people. Save one picture on his night stand.

And Jay had a walk in closet which used to be an adjacent room. Karen followed him in that direction.

At first all she saw was a row of suits and she couldn't help teasing him.

"You do have t-shirts, don't you?"

"Somewhere," came the amused reply.

Karen heard his voice but it sounded a little muffled. She stood in front of a wall of shoes in pure amazement.

Slops, trainers, mules, formal shoes, moccasins, in all shades of brown, grey and black. He even had dancing shoes.

"Dancing shoes?" she mouthed to herself, incredulously.

"Karen," Jay called, from somewhere behind a barrier that was made of only clothes.

"I'm afraid I'm lost," she said, only half serious.

"Just come around the corner," she heard him laugh.

She did as he said, looking at the wall of drawers.

Probably has his boxers and briefs by colour in there, she thought.

Her smile disappeared as she turned her face forward and walked straight into Jay's chest.

"Ow," she said. "Why is your chest so hard?"

He laughed out loud. "I hope I haven't broken that cute nose now. I'm sorry."

He put an arm around her shoulders and suddenly she felt so small. Gently he turned her towards shelves. "There are my t-shirts. There are the golf shirts, sweatshirts jerseys..."

"You have more clothes than me, Jay Madison," she claimed, staring at each shelf respectively.

"Probably."

Quickly, Karen realised the room wasn't so complicated. The drawers and racks were an island in the middle of the room. There was a good two yards between the island and the walls or shelves. Against the right wall, was a handsome chest of drawers. Next to his shirts was a shelf with shorts and then another rack with what looked like casual trousers, jeans, sports jackets and other coats.

She shrugged off the sensation of awe and reached to the back of the t-shirt shelf for a heather grey one, which happened to say Oxford University.

"Good choice."

"At least I'll look British like Mrs Brown," she smiled cheekily.

Just as they were getting out of the closet, the doorbell rang.