Chapter 48

Pain burned in Craig's stomach as they drove up to the building that he had never wanted to return to in his life. The warehouse where everything had ended, but had begun at the same time. The warehouse that can bring him to tears by just the mentioning of it.

The place he had watched his brother die.

Evan's body was sprawled across the ground in front of Jonathan, who had closed his eyes as he awaited the pain that never came. Blood completely covered his brother's torso, pouring out of the wounds in his chest and stomach. Craig didn't need a medical examiner to know that Evan was dead.

Another wave of pain washed over him, and he closed his eyes to let it pass, growing more worried with every pang that hit him as he just sat and stared at the building.

He couldn't take it anymore.

"Lets go." He opened the car door, fighting through the pain as he advanced to the building, wanting to get this over with as quickly as possible. The humans followed behind him.

Craig was confused at first when he opened the door, not seeing anything or anyone, until he remembered that the last time they were all there, they were in the basement.

"Wait, Craig." Smitty says, grabbing his arm. "What if it's too dangerous? I-I know you said you'd protect us, but I'm not your assignment, you can't-"

"Smitty, it's gonna be okay. I promise I'll get you home after all this is over, you just have to stay with us for a while, okay? Just until we know you're safe." Smitty nodded at Craig's words, trusting him.

----

The sound of metal clanging against concrete echoed throughout the empty room as the pipe fell from Evan's grasp, the anger dissipating all at once as grief yet again overtook him. He fell to his knees, crawling away from Jonathan's body, unsure of whether or not he was alive at this point. Evan had done quite a number on him, and although he didn't regret it, there was still pain that burned in his stomach.

Evan breathed heavily, tears falling down his face as he brought his knees to his chest, letting out a sob. After he had let out one, the rest of his grief followed in pursuit, tears unable to stop coming as he sat there next to Jonathan, grieving over the fact that he would never see Scott again.

The pain was suffocating, it wouldn't stop, wouldn't let up, wouldn't just let him breathe. Evan wanted to breathe.

He didn't want to feel so alone.

----

Evan was sat in between his parents' bodies, tears streaming down his face as Craig ran in and pulled the boy into his arms, hugging him.

Craig crouched down and pulled his brother into his arms as he cried next to Jonathan's body, blood on the legs of his jeans and a few drops were splattered onto his face. Craig didn't care about ruining his white shirt, Evan was his top priority.

"Hey, it's okay, Ev, I'm here. I got you." Everyone else rushed over to Jonathan, Smitty included, becoming horrified by how much blood there was around him, how beaten and bruised the boy looked as he lay there. Not quite alive but not yet dead. Evan sobbed into Craig's chest.

"What happened here?" Tyler said, gesturing to all the blood as he crouched down, checking Jonathan's pulse.

"I-I happened." Evan spoke shakily, hiccuping from having been crying for so long. He shook in Craig's arm. "I did that," he gulped, still crying "it was me."

Craig still held him, letting him continue to cry while everyone else looked horrified at what he had done. "W-why did you do that?" Tyler asked, unable to look away from the barely-alive boy on the ground.

Evan feels the anger rise up again as he leans further into Craig, letting his brother comfort him as he tries to brush away the anger.

"He killed Scott." Is what he says, so cold it's hard to believe that it was Evan who had said them. "And I wanted to kill him." The anger ebbs away again, replaced by grief and sadness. "But I can't." His voice cracks, Craig holds him tighter. "I can't kill him, because he's still my assignment."

Craig's heart drops when he hears those words, having thought that this whole time that Evan was back, he was finally free from the constraints of being a guardian, he was free. But he wasn't, he was still a guardian, he was still bound to the group of humans.

And he had to protect the person who murdered his boyfriend.

"He-he shot Scott?" Smitty asked, looking at Jonathan with a different perspective. Between the way Evan was acting and the amount of blood the boy was covered in, he could tell the two had some bad history, but what he had done to Scott was clearly the last straw. Evan nodded against Craig's chest. Smitty got closer, quickly pulling his leg back and giving him another blow to his rib cage. Both guardians winced, still weak from having dealt with all the pain from earlier. "You're lucky that we're letting you live." He snarled as Jonathan began to stir.

"Come on, Evan, we're gonna take you home." Craig gently taps on Evan's shoulder, pulling him to his feet with him, Evan's arms still tightly wrapped around his torso like a child clutching onto a safety blanket. Craig wouldn't let him go, Evan knew that, he wouldn't let him go until he was okay with it. "It's okay, Evan. We're gonna go home, you can go to sleep or eat and just relax, okay? You don't have to worry about anything, I got you."

While Craig led Evan up the stairs and to the car, the guys focused on Jonathan, who looked quite dazed as he awoke. The guys were circled above him.

"W-what are you guys......doing here?" He blinks quickly as blood falls into his eyes, pain spreading throughout his body as he remembers what had happened. What had been revealed, what Evan had done to him.

Evan, where was Evan?

"E-Ev-" he began to say, only to begin coughing, blood spilling from his mouth as he painfully sat up and spit onto the ground.

"Craig took him to the car." Jonathan didn't recognize the boy who spoke, although his voice was faintly familiar. "Why? Why did you do that?" He wasn't wasting anytime, this guy, he wanted immediate answers before he helped Jonathan in anyway.

"The Angels....they....he...he promised me whatever I wanted....he promised me Evan. All I had to do was kill for him.......all I had to do was kill Scott." Jonathan admitted, knowing that there was no point in lying anymore, not after they had seen what Evan had done to him, not after what he had put Evan through. "He gave me the gun, I just pulled the trigger."

The man Jonathan didn't recognize looked like he was going to cry as he heard what the boy had to say. "I'm gonna go wait in the car." He mumbled quietly as he walked away.

"You're an idiot." Tyler said, wanting to walk away, yet he didn't, he stayed and helped his friend up. "We're gonna take you home, get you cleaned up, and you're not going to even think about talking to Evan unless you have a good, no, amazing, no, out of this world apology gift, you got it?" Jonathan could only nod. "You're lucky that Evan is still your guardian, you know that?"

You're lucky that Evan is still your guardian, those words just made Jonathan feel worse.