Thranduin looked for a moment at the dwarf prince. In the sunlight, his wounds didn't look much better, but he would survive.

"Thranduil insists to speak to you, Alyssae." He got goosebumps when he remembered the words his uncle had spoken to her yesterday.

"Tomorrow you will decide whether your other dear dwarf friends will live or die."

Alyssae glanced double-minded at him, but then strengthened her shoulders. "And he will speak to me," she answered firmly. She left the bed and walked to the door.

For a moment her hand disappeared under her cape. He saw a metal object which she gave to a dwarf with a strange headgear. Then she left the room with a raised head.

Alyssae clenched her fists as the elf king walked toward her with a serene face. She knew she had to watch her tongue, for the last thing she wanted was to make things worse.

Thranduil did not directly speak to her, but first walked around her, while studying her from top to toe. "You are a beautiful elf, Alyssae."

Her eyebrows furrowed and she had no idea what to answer. "If you say so," she said eventually, full of restrained anger.

"I am not surprised you have succeeded to teach the dwarves what real beauty is."

Alyssae did not know what he was heading for and kept standing still. She was aware of the fact that the room was empty. She was unarmed, which was probably for the best because she would have drawn her sword otherwise to avenge Thorin.

"I heard the dwarf survived the night?"

Her eyes flamed, but she kept her calmness. She was satisfied to see that she didn't respond as he hoped.

"Did you really think I would send the dwarves away?" he asked disdainfully. "Since the moment they entered my kingdom, the future of our king under the mountain was set. All I had to do, was wait until he made a mistake. You were his weak spot."

Alyssae got the feeling her breath was beaten out of her lungs. Sudden nausea came up, while tears burned in her eyes. The fact that he had tortured Thorin on purpose, instead of that being the result of an impulse or drunkenness, made her legs weak.

"Why?" she whispered.

Thranduil smiled darkly. "I wanted to humiliate him because he humiliated my kin. And he would have done no different as he was the one sitting on a throne."

Alyssae squeezed her eyes. She wanted to leave this musty room, where the atmosphere seemed to be poisoned. "He is not like his forefathers."

The elf king looked right into her eyes. "You will take back your words. I have seen it. You will choose to be with him, but he will destroy your life. And not only yours. You will wish he would have bled to death in my dungeon."

Alyssae refused to believe his lies, but she thought to see some empathy in his eyes, which confused her.

"The dwarves have something which belongs to my people," he continued. "Thrór forced us to hand it over and I want it back."

Alyssae looked at him. "Well, you've spoiled that chance."

He bowed towards her. His breath stroked her face and she got ice cold. "You think Thorin would have given away the slightest part of his riches?"

"More than he would do now."

The smirk that played around his lips, made her shiver. "That is why you will take them."