Chapter 21

Thranduin could not believe his ears when the truth dawned on him. "When?"

She tried to look away, but he managed to catch her glance time after time.

"He was drunk, I had betrayed him and he just found out he was in love with me," she grumbled.

Thranduin looked at the welts on her neck. First, he'd believed she had incurred them in the woods and that they had been bleached by the magic of the water. An absurd thought, but how could he have suspected she was attacked by one of her friends?

"Please don't blame him, Thranduin." She fell to her knees and stared at him. "Save him. Please."

He sighed. Of course, he couldn't do anything but help in front of the eyes of his mourning lover and eleven pairs of tearing dwarf eyes. He lifted the man off the ground and put him carefully on the bed.

"Put on some proper clothes first," he mumbled as his fiance sat down on the edge of the bed.

Alyssae looked him briefly in the eye, then nodded, walked to a linen closet in which some of his travel cloaks were hanging and put it around her shoulders.

"I can't do much more," Thranduin said, "except bandaging his wounds."

He gave Tauriel a penetrating look, who quickly walked away to get some bandages and disinfecting salves.

"I need rest before I can continue to heal him."

"You can go to my room," Alyssae suggested. "There is nobody now."

Her eyes were aimed at the face of the dwarf. Her fingers held his powerless hand.

Thranduin didn't like to leave her behind, but he knew he would find no rest with so many people around him. He waited until Tauriel came back, but she did not hand over the bandages.

"I can do this." She showed him a smile. "Try to get some sleep."

Thranduin nodded and kissed Alyssae's hair. "He will be fine."

She tore loose her glance and looked at him. Traces of tears seemed to be engraved in her cheeks forever.

"Thank you for everything, Thranduin. I have no words to describe your kindness."

He smiled watery, knowing it was not only kindness Alyssae was longing for. If she loved such a rash, tough man as Thorin, she would never develop feelings for him.

He left behind the dwarves and walked to Alyssae's room, where he fell on the bed exhausted. He didn't remove his clothes and his head sank into his pillow. He inhaled her scent once before he closed his eyes.

Thranduin woke up startled when somebody knocked on the door. Before he could respond, the door swung open and three elves stepped inside.

"What are you doing here?" they asked in surprise when they saw his sleepy face.

"What are you doing here?" Thranduin stroke back. He felt a little stronger but was not fit.

"His majesty wants to talk to the princess, my lord."

A growl escaped his lips. "His majesty stays away from my fiance."

"Unfortunately that is not up to you," one of the elves spoke. "Even more, she will be thrown in the dungeons if she refuses to start a conversation."

Thranduin sighed but took the men to his room. He had no choice and everything would only become worse if he made his uncle angry.

With a sullen face, he opened the door of his room. The dwarves lay scattered all over the floor and Alyssae lay on her side on the bed, next to Thorin, her sad look aimed at his battered face. Her fingers stroked his hair.