Chapter 1

The Kettle rattled in the background, making a constant, random clatter. It was almost comforting, to be honest.

Usually, for him, it was a hindrance, another cue to get adjusted into his living. He had to do it, anyway. While he loved fighting for Gotham, busting criminals for doing their evil and highly unethical acts, sometimes he just didn't have it in him. He felt like a crap.

Alfred had already entered the room, making the clattering more visible. The spoon stirred inside the cup until the sugar had mixed with its liquid.

There was a movement, someone had woken up. A cup was placed on the edge of his desk, making him look at it. The aroma of tea had already captured the room.

"I hope you are faring well, Master Wayne," Alfred asked him with a grim look on his face. It had been his signature appearance, whenever he interacted with Bruce.

"Yes," Bruce responded with a stern voice though he was disheveled and tired from the yesterday's night.

"Very well. The chamomile tea would make you better in no time." He grunted back at him.

"Thank you, Alfred."

Alfred shook his head in disappointment while a disgusted smirk appeared on his face. Bruce had seen this face for most of his time. But again, he knew last night was the only time that had tossed every strategy into the hell of garbage. Gotham city was falling in the grave. It was worse than it used to be, even than the times of Carmine Falcone. Everything became unhinged. Criminals were operating the streets, literally. They weren't the corrupt politicians or gangsters of the usual kind but they were the entities who had some semblance to their own code, morals and twisted laws to run the city.

It was too much.

'Bruce! We need to talk. I am reaching the office in a few minutes. Can you make it quick this time?' The message flashed. It was clear as a crystal. It talked about the less time and an important event that no one else can be a part of. He had to be there at his earliest.

The noises of his steps were heard making sure he entered his hallway with a well-tailored Armani suit and a charcoal tie perfected in a symmetrical knot. He reached down the table and picked up a few pieces of sausages placing it at the center. The orange glass was placed on his left. He gulped the food down while staring somewhere at the horizon. His thoughts went back to the message, increasing his desperation knowing its urgency. 

"The message does sound urgent, Master Bruce." Alfred chimed in. 

"It's Lucius. He wants to meet me at the tower. Sounded urgent for me." Bruce responded.

"Ah! I see. I'm sure it's not about discussing the details of Wayne Enterprises." 

Ignoring his words for the last time, Bruce finished his breakfast. He stood up whisking himself away from the room and exited the mansion as if ready for venturing out for his awaited adventure. Alfred looked at the cutlery in front of him and heaved a sigh of melancholy.

                      ━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦

The building was recognized as the most fancied form of architecture. It beamed in a form of a tall skyscraper beating the others down by its stature. The youngsters glanced hoping to be a part of it while competitors look at jealousy seeing it as an opportunity to grab. The common passerby's had drowned their eyes but Bruce entered the building with his own usuality and ease. The insides were surrounded by the bunch of workaholic people who were immersed in their computers or telephones. Bruce had to pace forward through the admiring gazes of the crowd and adorning smiles.

Unlocking the door past him, he stared at the grey-haired man who was waiting for his arrival. An expression of ease flashed on his face. "Thank God! You could make it on time. But, don't worry. The CCTV cameras are disabled quite a long time ago. No one knows about the meeting."

"What was so urgent for me to come?" Bruce asked.

"There's something I would like to show you." Lucius pointed at the screen and added, "Do you see this?"

An unusual graph depicted on the screen showcasing Wayne's account that spread all over the countries. The frightful imagery caught his eye and his brows arched in surprise. The headlines read:

 A woman accused of embezzlement of cash from Wayne Enterprises.

"When did this happen?" He folded his hands making a note of everything that was put in front of him.

"The sources predict it was yesterday night's activity. Yet, we are unsure of that."

"It should be a recent work for not more than 24 hours."

"Well... The name of the culprit is shocking this time. It's Carolina Bay." Lucius sighed.

"What? Are you sure?" Bruce asked, surprised.

"Yes, it's confirmed. Even though it doesn't make sense, it's her." He breathed out the frustration.

"This call for an investigation, then. I'll set up a call with Commissioner Gordon."

"Not necessarily. He's already been informed of the crime."

"Okay..." He was astonished unbeknownst to the facts that lied ahead of him. "I don't see any other problem than handling the press conferencing."

"Actually, there is. Bruce... She was found dead in her apartment after the transaction took place."

He widened his eyes, registering the shock that had impacted him with great intensity. Desperately trying to connect the dots, he massaged his temples and took a long breath.

"This doesn't make sense. Damn it! I need to dig deeper into this. Something tells me she acted out of fear and the killing just confirms it."

"I hope I could help you more, I really do. I can provide you an Intel but my active participation can cause questions. Hope you understand."

"No worries. You keep finding what you can. Meanwhile, Batman will find some clues in her apartment. He might have to visit the apartment to get a clue. I'll inform Alfred to prepare my suit."

Hey folks, hope you are all doing fine. This is my re-edited version of the first chapter, hope you like it. Do let me know in comments about your thoughts about the story and do not forget to vote. More chapters coming soon, so stay tuned. Special  thank you for the lovely edit by SarahSokol5