01| Hard Times

CHAPTER ONE

HARD TIMES

The flight was excruciatingly long. Every time a baby cried, someone sneezed, the person sitting next to her had to get up, Jacqueline felt as if her head was going to explode. She barely got any sleep, making her feel as if there was a whole desert behind her eye sockets. The girl needed her precious sleep.

After finally arriving to her destination, the next thing for the dark haired girl was to catch a bus to Riverdale. The sun was already setting, letting its bright ochre spill along the sky. A beautiful sight on a rather atrocious day. As soon as the bus arrived to the bus stop, the Jones girl quickly entered the old rusty vehicle and sat at the very back, taking up the whole line of seats to lie down. Luckily, the bus wasn't crowded. They say the more the merrier, but the phrase did not apply to Jack. She was never a fan of being surrounded by people. The situation was identical with her younger brother.

The bus ride was very quiet, making Jack a tiny bit happier. The girl wrapped herself in her oversized denim jacket and got comfortable on all the four seat of the last row. Finally, the place was as silent as the grave. Jacqueline finally felt her eyes close as the sound of the vehicle's engine put her in deep slumber.

Jack felt as if she slept for a whole eternity. Rays of sun were spilling over her face through the bus windows. Just as she lazily opened her eyes, the bus abruptly stopped. The girl looked out the window as she began standing up. There was the bus stop she recognized. The whole situation felt like a reversed cassette. Last time she was in Riverdale, first came the familiar bus stop, then the long bus ride to the airport and everything else leading to Italy, not the other way around.

The Jones girl missed Florence already - the beautiful city where she could escape all of her problems, hiding away at the tiny mechanic shop where she would work day and night.

The scent of Riverdale hit the girl's nose as soon as she exited the bus. After all, most of her brightest memories were made in Riverdale. The sudden nostalgia made the girl a bit upset, but then she remember why she left in the first place, which made the Jones girl toughen up once again.

The first thing she has been craving since her flight was a cigarette. Jacqueline was a heavy smoker, but the harms of tobacco were practically cancelled out by the amount of physical work she did everyday. The girl was healthier than any other average Riverdale citizen, despite her wild lifestyle that consists of drinking, smoking and spending most of her time around fuming cars.

Jack took a lighter out of her jacket pocket, which she had to buy at the airport after the security took her old one during the check-up. She sparked up a cigarette and put it in between her lips, breathing in the smoke with her mouth. Cigarettes made her calm. She felt more alert, more focused and it all came with the feeling of peace and relaxation.