PROLOGUE

It was at that moment when Jacquline's past has come back to haunt her. Three years away from her family, and she never imagined that she'd come back this way.

"I'm almost done, Rico!" The dark haired girl exclaimed as she finished fixing some customer's car. Her face was covered with random dirt patches on her cheeks and nose, dark long hair was held in a tight bun that was already coming out of its form. The girl looked like a mess every evening, her only wish being to get home and take a nice hot shower.

The Jones girl has been working at the mechanic shop since she left Riverdale. She knew a lot about vehicles from her father and the other serpents that were told to babysit her whenever FP was busy. Being a serpent brought joy to Jacqueline. She loved being a part of something, a part of a team. The serpents were the most loyal and generous people she's ever met. All of them were like a huge happy family. However, the enjoyable experience soon came to an end after some complications.

She didn't hear from anybody in Riverdale after she left. Her own brother didn't even try to contact her. All she got was a garbage present that consisted of a gift card and a box of chocolates that were half-melted. It was a nice gesture, she thought, but the thought of being away from her family and them probably not giving a damn drove the girl mad. She last spoke to her mom, with whom Jacqueline's relationship was more than complicated. The dark haired girl would be lying if she said she truly loved her mother. Jellybean wasn't exactly fond of her sister either. But the little girl was just that - little. She couldn't possibly understand the struggles her older sister went through that would make her ashamed to show her face to her own family.

"Good job, Jack," Rico, the owner of the shop, stated as he walked out of his office,
"That's all for the day, then. Have a nice evening."

The girl loved when people called her Jack. It was such a simple name, perfect to match her simple, carefree attitude. The nickname was given to her by no one other than Jughead, who couldn't pronounce her whole name when he was little. It seemed hilarious to their parents, causing everyone to call the girl Jack from now on.

Jaqueline took off her working apron as she heavily sighed, finally being able to go home to a soft warm bed. But just as the girl picked up her phone, her eyes widened as soon as she saw the amount of missed calls from her mother. Gladys knew better than to bother her older daughter with simple questions such as "how was your day?" or "how's work going?". The mother only called Jack during emergencies.

"Gladys?" Jack spoke after dialing her mother's number. The older woman hasn't heard from her daughter in more than a year, but hearing the girl call her by the name and not the M word was quite heartbreaking,
"You called. What's going on?"

"It's you father, Jack," Gladys huffed a few seconds after hearing the girl's voice,
"I'm sorry I haven't told you earlier, but... Your father's in jail."

Jack was confused. A single tear slid down her face as she stood in shock. It was a tear that held all of her fury, all of her disappointment. She wasn't crying because she felt sorry for her father. The girl was crying because she despised him for being so irresponsible.

She wanted to ask so many questions, but as soon as she heard her mother speak again to try and calm her daughter, the girl quickly switched off her phone and ran to grab her things. Jacqueline grabbed her bag and jacket as soon as she entered Rico's office.

"Hey, uh, Rico," she abruptly stopped, facing her boss,
"I'm gonna be gone for like... A week, or two. It's really important."

"Did something happen, J?" The Italian man asked, worried about his employee. He knew of her past, and he knew of her short temper and aggressive attitude. He knew that Jack would only leave if it was a life or death situation.

"I'd rather not say, Rico," the girl sighed as she put on her jacket over her unclean tank top,
"But hey, I promise to call you as soon as I arrive in Riverdale!"

The girl quickly ran out despite Rico calling out her name. He knew this wasn't going to end well...

The girl didn't even bother to take all of her things. As soon as she entered her tiny apartment on the second floor, Jacqueline quickly threw the essentials she needed into her suitcase and left her cozy Italian abode, calling a taxi for herself as she descended to the main lobby of her building.

The drive to the airport was excruciatingly quiet and tiresome. The girl cursed herself for forgetting her earphones at her apartment. She scrolled through the pictures on her phone, until she landed on an old picture that made her heart skip a beat.

It was a picture of Jughead, Jacqueline and their dear father. The three had the brightest smiles Jack has ever seen. She and Jug were holding popcorn buckets that they probably got at the Twilight Drive-In. Their father seemed like the happiest person in the whole world, despite his wife and Jellybean not being there during the time.

However, the picture captured a moment that happened a long time ago. The only things left were the sweet memories and a photograph.

And perhaps, the three could take an identical picture, but their emotions would never be as raw as before. The whole Jones family went through what felt like hell, and things would never be the same, even with Jacqueline being back in Riverdale...