Doing it for the Kids - Chapter 16

Hendrick's room was more than a room, large arched windows stretched from the floor to the high ceilings, both lighting the space and offering exceptional views of the snow covered world below. A large leather sofa sat facing out of the window. To her left was an archway to bedroom, and another to what she presumed was the bathroom. Sliding onto the sofa she could hear him moving around behind her, when he sat next to her he had two cold beers, one of which he offered her.

Violet took a long drink, and Hendrick watching her asked, "so how are things going with Michael and the twins?"

She nodded, "good actually. He came to meet them yesterday, spent a few hours, the kids loved the attention. That's partly why I'm here."

He looked at her questioningly, "because of?"

"Emma! I was explaining how even though he hasn't been around, he would've been thinking of her and that it wasn't her fault he'd gone away. It just made me realize it was time to sort things out with you. Once and for all."

Hendrick loved that little girl a whole chunk more, "another thing I've got to thank Emma for then?"

She nodded, watching him drink, "and I brought this, because I didn't think it was mine to keep if we didn't work this out!"

She placed the diamond in its velvet covered box on the table in front of them. Hendrick looked at it, then up to her face.

"It was a gift!"

"True, but a lot happened since you intended to give it to me. It means too much to you to just give it away. If you still want me to have it after we've talked, then that's fine. If not, then that's cool too."

Hendrick was amazed at her, any other woman would have definitely kept the diamond, it was beautiful without its extortionate price tag.

"That's very generous of you Violet, but I want you to have it!"

Shrugging she slugged at her beer.

"You look tired!"

"I just didn't think it'd be so difficult to get here."

As he heard her tale of plane then car he shook his head, "You must be shattered! What time did you leave the house?"

"About three am!!"

Hendrick smiled at her, "I am glad that you did all that! But you must be shattered!" Reaching out he tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear, and the touch was all it took for her resolve to disappear, she turned to him and he saw the passion, desire in her eyes, and he suddenly realized THIS was what he wanted to see.

"Violet?" his voice was a whisper as his lips lowered. Her eyes widened but she offered no challenge, no resistance.

The kiss, when it happened was breathtaking, Violet melted into the sofa, his hand along her jaw pulled her closer and she was powerless to resist. When he'd plundered her lips, he kissed his way down to her neck, nuzzling sending her body into shivers, standing every hair on end.

He adored the way she responded to him, her body betraying her long before the longing reached her eyes. Groaning he pulled her, lifted her, managed to get her to sit astride him, then he could see her, kiss her properly.

Violet wasn't sure how she came to be sat in his lap, but she couldn't think of anything more than kissing him, her mind was fizzing like a glass of champagne. She'd had a thousand more questions before he'd kissed her, and now, all her thoughts were of him.

Taking his stubbled jaw in her hands, she planted her lips onto his, loving the feel of his tongue flicking out to tease her, the gruff abrasion of his unshaven skin to her lips. His hands pulled her close, plastering her against his body, her tingling breasts pressed against his chest and her throbbing pelvis into his.

"Are you sure Violet?" he breathed into her neck as his hands wandered under her sweater to her warm soft skin.

As an answer she reached to lift her jumper over her head. Hendrick groaned as he took in the soft, still tanned flesh, scant bra, hard nipples pushing through the fabric.

Climbing up from the seat, he carried her into the bedroom.

He was so gentle as he undressed her, and she could tell by the delight, the desire in his eyes that he loved exposing her, revealing her in such a slow and deliberate way. She demanded that he strip himself, and greedily she enjoyed every second as he did as she asked.

When he lay beside her she melted into him and she really knew then that she was right to come, that she couldn't have lived without more of him. In the back of her mind were the doubts she constantly pushed away. She wanted this, this moment with him, no more to worry about than herself and him. And he didn't disappoint.

****************************

Violet woke from a very deep sleep, it was dark, glancing around she realized she was alone in the bedroom. Stretching she felt aches all over her body, Hendrick had certainly put her through her paces. She smiled as memories came flooding back, he'd been so gentle, yet so thorough. She felt like she'd been through an old-fashioned mangle, and her body ached from this, but partly because he wasn't there to kiss it all better.

Where was Hendrick? She wandered into the bathroom and turned on the shower, the powerful jets aggressive on her delicate tender body.

As she slid back into her clothes, she thought more about her 'father' Marvin. He'd stolen Carla, Hendrick's business, home, and then when Carla decided to come back to Hendrick, he killed her. It sounded like a soap opera, she could barely believe it. But she could tell by the look in Hendrick's eyes that he was speaking the truth, of that she had no doubt.

Carla.

That single word set her on edge.

She hadn't missed the wistful look in his eyes as he recalled the story, now as she thought more about his reactions she wondered was he still grieving for her, did he still love her. A man like Hendrick didn't do things by half, and the fact that he'd failed to mention her must hint at how much it hurt to lose her, twice. She'd spent the last year being her mother, and in her eyes failing, and didn't know if she could walk in the shadow of yet another dead woman.

And she must be a constant reminder, every time he looked at her did he see Marvin? She had no idea what he'd looked like, she only knew he was a bastard of the first degree. She couldn't remind him of Marvin, could she?

As sadness and regret swept through her, she suddenly remembered his kisses, the ease at which he became aroused, the gentleness he'd shown as he'd devoured her earlier, and the desperation as he'd wanted more.

Strolling into the lounge she could find no message, no note from Hendrick, he'd got up and left her sleep.

Violet sat on the sofa looking out over the valley, the earlier heavy snow storm had left the whole panoramic scene fresh and enticing, but she was sad it was too dark to see further than the illumination of the hotel lights and the early evening moon.

Finding the room phone, she dialed home, Matt answered in just three rings, and she could hear the twins laughing loudly behind him.

He assured her that they were all fine, and he put Emma on.

"Hi Vio-let!"

"Hey Ems!" She instantly smiled at her happy reaction.

"How's Hendrick?" she bubbled.

Violet smiled, she was so bloody perceptive for a seven year old, "he's good. He sends his love."

"Are you bringing him home with you?"

Chuckling Violet closed her eyes, "I don't know darling, probably not. Are you being good for Uncle Matt?"

She burst into excited dialog with long-winded explanations of a trip to the cinema and then a fast food lunch.

Violet listened happily, looking around the room lazily her mind drifting back to Hendrick. Her attention focused on the coffee table, as she listened she didn't really understand her fascination, but as she spoke to Ethan she suddenly grasped why she was feeling anxious. Earlier she'd left the diamond there, next to her car keys and purse. The purse and keys were still there, but the diamond was missing.