Doing it for the Kids - Chapter 9

Hendrick sighed, this woman was high maintenance! Stretching as he climbed out of bed, aching in places he'd forgotten about, he headed into her en suite bathroom, determined to be refreshed when he convinced her that she didn't have to keep bolting like a startled pony.

Hendrick's jeans were still damp, but he had nothing else to wear. So he pulled them in after his shower and made his way downstairs.

"Hendrick!" Ethan shouted as he saw his new hero approaching the lounge. "Can you play FIFA football with me? Emma is too girly and I really want to try this game!"

Hendrick laughed, "of course I can. Load it, I just want to go and see your sister a minute."

Looking up he saw Emma quiet on the sofa, so he stopped. "Hey Ems, you ok?"

She shrugged noncommittally, "suppose."

"Shall we go and see some animals soon? I promised you didn't I?"

Her face broke into a beam as she looked up at him, "I thought you'd forgotten."

As she jumped up, he scooped her up in his arms, laughing as she kissed his cheek.

"You're my number one girl here Ems, of course I haven't forgotten. I'll get Jan to take us all today, he knows the best places to go to see elephants, lions, and I don't know how many other things. What do you reckon?"

By now Ethan had gatecrashed the conversation, so Hendrick sat and answered all their questions.

He finally made it to the kitchen to see Violet violently chopping tomatoes. He sidled up behind her and slipped his arms around her waist.

"So is this 'I slept with him and I can't believe I let my guard down' anger, or 'I can't believe he's making promises to the twins' anger?"

She opened her mouth to protest but then closed it again. He'd read her again, perfectly. But also it was rather nice to stand there, his arms around her, his chin on her shoulder, his breath in her ear.

"You want to fight me, don't you?" his voice was a whisper, and she gasped as his hands snuck under her t-shirt, and ran over her bare stomach, then rose to cup her bare breasts. Her nipples instantly hardened and she felt her knees weaken. With a chuckle he pulled her back into him, and she could feel he felt the same way as her, that they were both still hot for each other.

"As much as I want to bend you over this work surface and get deep into where we were last night, I won't, time and place.....but I will continue to feed the monsters whilst you go and take a shower, get dressed, and calm down. Ok?"

She turned in his arms to protest, but he silenced her with a kiss that literally stole her breath, "I know you Violet, I can already tell how you're thinking......I'm in the twins' life at the moment whilst we're here whether I sleep alone in a cold empty bed, or if I share the warm bed here with you. I know you don't want to confuse them, but pushing me away will be worse for them. Surely you can see that? Until we sort this business out, we are going to be thrown together; we may as well make it pleasant. And I have to say, last night was more than pleasant."

Her eyes were wide as she looked up at him, and Hendrick felt a tug in his chest, she was so captivating, that innocence yet sexiness, she was an enigma.

"How do you do it? How do you know everything that I'm thinking?"

He shrugged, "I honestly have no idea! But I do!" He kissed her nose, "now go, this breakfast will be ten minutes."

As she turned he swatted at her backside, "don't push it Kaiser!" she chuckled as she disappeared out of the kitchen.

Upstairs as the forceful jet hit her face, she dissected his earlier conversation. She really liked him, he was funny, very sexy, and SO good looking, but all the way through their 'friendship' he'd made it clear that this was a very transient relationship, what would happen when they'd sorted out their business, would they go their separate ways? She was already starting to lust after him, possibly even falling for him, she'd had so much trauma the last twelve months that she didn't think she could bear to have her heartbroken too. She felt far too fragile for that.