8.The Pulau Ubin Barbie

Barbie is arguably the most popular doll in the world. So popular, in fact, that a dead girl requested it purchased for her from beyond the grave.

At the beginning of World War I, the British mistrusted many foreigners in their colonies, and the British army investigated one German couple in Singapore in 1914 as possible spies. The couple was caught, but their young daughter escaped, only to fall off a cliff and die. A shrine was erected in her memory by the locals in Pulau Ubin, with a porcelain altar that supposedly contains a lock of the girl’s hair and her crucifix.

The Barbie doll has only been there since around 2007. A man from Pulau Ubin had the same dream three nights in a row involving a white girl leading him to a toy store and to a Barbie doll within it. After the third night, the man went to that store during the day and found the doll he had seen in his dream. He bought it and placed it at the shrine, replacing an urn that had stood there. Townspeople and tourists now visit the doll, bringing offerings of items like lipstick and perfume, hoping the spirit of the girl will bring them good luck or heal them.

If you can’t make it to Singapore, you can at least buy Mattel’s “Haunted Beauty” doll for collectors. Sadly, the doll is only dressed in a ghostly manner, and it shows few or no supernatural tendencies