"Twenty-seven cents." You said.

You had never been that excellent at mathematics, but the one thing about math you did know was money. Maybe it was from pouring out your mother's coin jar on the parlor and counting all the coins.

You felt an odd sense of nostalgia and sadness as you recounted the memory, but you swallowed and pushed it down.

"Not too shabby." Jack nodded in approval. You nodded in return, unsure of what to say.

He turned to Davey and Les and began to debrief the cuts of the money they'd split. You looked down at your shoes as they bickered over who got what, before you heard Davey speak.

"That is disgusting."

You soon realized that Jack and Les had spit into their palms before shaking their hands. You cringed and could see Davey doing the same. Just the thought made you want to wash your hands.

After you recovered from the horrendous sight of Jack and Les shaking hands, Jack exhaled.

"Well, we'd might as well find some grub and a place to spend the night." He spoke casually, like it was in his daily routine. Then it occurred to you. This was Jack's daily routine. Not everyone had somewhere to sleep like you. Before you could tell Jack you had to go home and see your mother, Davey intervened.

"No thanks, we've got to get home. Our parents will be waiting with dinner." He was already reached for Les and beginning to walk away.

"You'se got folks?" Jack questioned, a saddened undertone very apparent in his voice.

"Doesn't everyone?" Les replied, his voice the same volume as always. Davey grabbed his brother by his shoulder to silence him, knowing that it wouldn't be very kind to Jack to say he didn't belong.

"You two wouldn't like to come over and eat, would you? Our parents wouldn't mind." Davey suggested. Part of you was surprised by his kindness, considering Jack seemed to be a constant thorn in his side.

"Our mom's the best cook!" Les piped up.

You began to nod, the thought of homemade food calling your name. Your icebox was practically empty and you weren't half as good at cooking as your mom was. You knew you should've been home by now anyway, but your mom could last a few more minutes. But it seemed that Jack disagreed.

"Oh no, I couldn't, I've gotta—meet up with this fella and–" He seemed to be making it up off the top of his head and you couldn't help but feel sorry for him. Davey was about to object and insist that Jack join you three, but Les shouted.

"Hey! Is that the fella you're supposed to be meeting?"

Jack looked up quickly to see where Les was pointing. You turned to see the figure behind you. An older man with a hideous mustache was standing on a fire escape, observing quite closely. Once he seemed to notice that you all were staring at you, he shouted.

"Kelly!"

You froze up on the spot, but Jack's own shriek urged you to move.

"Run!"

And so you took off, feet occasionally slipping up on the wet cobble. You and Davey were on the tail end of your party, Jack used to all this running and Les being so small he gained an extra burst of speed.

Jack took a sharp left, all of you sliding after him. It was hard to see where you were, but you followed the shadows of your companions and the sounds of their feet.

The blue-clad leader began his ascension up a fire escape, climbing faster than anyone you'd ever seen. You were filled with a flurry of panic, once you saw the ladder that you'd need to climb to reach the stairs. You'd never been good with ladders, let alone soaking wet metal ones.

Les climbed up after him, making way for either you or Davey to follow. You pushed the taller boy forward, hoping that if you fell behind, the three of the boys would be fine. After Davey was a little farther up, you began to climb. You were about four rungs up when you felt an angered grasp on your ankle.

Whoever was chasing you was trying to pull you down from the ladder.

You exhaled and began to kick.

"Shortstack!" Les shouted. You looked up at your companions, who were all watching from the landing of the fire escape.

You continued to kick in your unorthodox and random pattern. You were about to lose your grip on the slippery ladder when you looked down and aimed your foot one more time.

You kicked as hard as your feet would allow at the man's stupid mustache.

He was knocked back suddenly, falling into the alley. You took this as your opening and began to climb before he could recover.

"Go!" You screamed at the boys who were still waiting up on you.

Jack didn't hesitate as he shot off again, taking the stairs of the fire escape to the roof.

You sure wished he knew where he was going.