Chapter X

NOTE: THIS CHAPTER IS A LITTLE BIT GRAPHIC IN TERMS OF ELECTROCUTION TORTURE. IF IT MAKES YOU UNCOMFORTABLE, SKIP TO WHERE YOU SEE ~~~~*~~~~. IT ENDS THERE. READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED IF YOU DECIDE TO CONTINUE.

~~~

Adam was terrified, to say the least. His heart pounded in his chest as though he was running a marathon, his hands sweating to a point where water was draining from his lips and his mouth. His eyes wanted to shut, block out everything that was stressing him out. The air around him was too heavy, not allowing for his lungs to take a single breath in, and if they did, it was fast, and hardly enough to sustain the adult.

His brother stared down at him with bloodshot eyes, hard and unforgiving. The hazel irises glared at Adam like he was a filthy, filthy sinner and Chase was a corrupt Jesus.

"You can get out of this by telling us where she is," said Chase, the button in his hand.

Adam swallowed hard. "I don't know, for sure, where she is," he said, adding that one line to make it a truth. Chase moved his finger across the remote, gritting his teeth tightly.

"Then tell me, what do you know?"

"West street. San Francisco."

A shock ran through Adam's body as he shouted in pain. It started at his neck, and went down through the rest of his body, filling him with electricity that set his hair on end. It seemed to be a dog collar, but he knew that it must have been vamped up. A dog collar, while powerful, wouldn't make his heart jump out of his chest. He felt like his heart might fall out of his body.

"It's in San Francisco," growled Chase. "Not West street. What street, Adam?"

"I don't know, Chase!" shouted Adam, chest heaving as the shock ran off his body. He knew that his bionics were the one thing keeping him okay. Keeping him from dying of electric shock. However, he knew that it could break his bionics in due time. Quite literally fry them out.

The button was pressed again, shock running down his body, quickening his heart. He knew that electric shock could cause heart attacks, and judging by the high voltage running through his heart, it wouldn't take long. He knew, deep down, that his heart was only protected by his bionics, but those would be shorted out sooner than later.

~~~~*~~~~

"Chase!" shouted a new voice, catching the attention of both of them. It was you, mortified by the way Chase was looking at Adam, thumb on the remote. "What are you doing? Let go!" you shouted, running forward to take the shock collar off of Adam, the vibrating torture absorbing into your body. However, thanks to your healing bionics, it didn't hurt. It was only a tickle, at the very most.

Chase let the remote drop at his feet as you tore the shock collar off of Adam, putting your hands on his bare skin to direct the healing to his fried body. You could swear that you saw blond streaks appearing in his brown hair.

"You're okay!" Chase said happily, standing up. The lie detector disconnected from his leg as he did so, a sharp pain erupting from the needle he'd injected.

You flinched away from Chase's touch, which wasn't usual for you. In any time, even when Chase was at his worse, you still wouldn't flinch. It was as though something in you had changed. You weren't being you.

"Don't touch me," you said, your voice low. Chase looked curiously at you, hurt filling the hazel irises that once comforted you so many years ago. You continued focusing your energies on Adam, feeling his skin start to cool, his pulse going toward a normal rate.

"What happened? Where were you?" Chase asked, focused on the fact that you were acting so cold to him.

You weren't making any conscious thoughts. It was like you were compressed into the corner of your head that was never explored, and there was something taking you over.