Chapter XI

Returning to Hawaii felt like a dream. Everything felt so surreal, so perfect. The wind rustled your hair a little, moving the strands to its music. You looked over the beach at the setting sun, the chilled January air surrounding your body as you leaned on the railing. If perfection had a feeling, that was it. Contentment.

You felt a form walk up behind you, standing beside you, watching the waves.

"It's beautiful," they said, interrupting the comfortable silence you had been in.

"It is." You looked up at them, your eyes meeting Chase's face. The sunlight bathed his features, casting a warm glow on his face. He looked unearthly in the best way possible, like the light that shone on his face was a halo.

You looked back at the sun as he wrapped an arm around your waist, standing just slightly behind you.

"I wish things could always be like this," he said, his voice low and gravelly in your ear. You nodded, resting your head on his shoulder.

"I do, too."

Happiness, however, doesn't last.

~~~

You woke up calmly, your eyelids merely opening, taking in your surroundings. being on the Triton app was proving to not be much different from being intoxicated: you had a pounding headache and you could barely remember the events from the previous  night.

Standing up, you realized that you weren't in your clothes from the day before. It didn't bother you, as Tasha most likely completed the act.

You walked into the kitchen, rubbing your eyes before reaching for a handle on the cupboard that contained the bowls before you realized that you weren't alone.

"Morning," said a light voice. You turned around to see Bree and a medium-dark skinned girl standing on the other side of the kitchen.

"Morning," you responded, continuing to make your breakfast. "Who's she?" You made a slight gesture to the lady next to Bree, who sipped her coffee.

"Janelle, Leo's wife," responded the superhuman. "Janelle, this is (Y/n), the one with the relationship issues."

Pausing your breakfast making, you glared at Bree before continuing. You didn't have an appetite, but you remembered the things that Chase would tell you about being under the rule of the Triton app: "It drains a lot from you. Refresh yourself after being affected by it," he'd told you.

"How'd you sleep?" Bree asked after a few moments of silence. You shrugged, keeping the dream you had quiet. You were beginning to feel homesick; homesick for the scent of the salty ocean, the quaint town you lived in, and everything in between.

"Okay. Like a rock for the most part," was your reply. "I didn't... like... kill anybody, did I?"

A laugh escaped Bree. "You're funny." She looked to Janelle. "Isn't she funny?"

Janelle looked at Bree as though she was insane, though she was used to the abnormal Davenports considering she was married into the family.

"You didn't kill anybody," Janelle said, taking a bite of her toast. "From what I heard, you might've broken somebody's heart, but nobody's dead."

You heaved a heavy sigh. "I can't remember any of it. It's like there's some blockage in my head."

This interested Bree, considering your past amnesia. You'd recovered over time - maybe they just had to wait - but you could remember certain things immediately after. Your memory had been replenished by your mind bionics that had also saved you from the original Triton app.