Chapter Four

CHAPTER 4

Jesse returned that evening right on time. I was dressed in my best dress for an evening out. It was Lavender Lace over a satin underskirt. It had dark grape colored velvet trim around the sleeves, bodice and hem. Abbie had put my hair up in curls with the same trim that matched my dress. I was very nervous and wondering how we were going to convince people, who had never seen us out together, that we had known each other for several months. 

Jesse told me how beautiful I looked and if I was ready to brave the crowds for the evening. He told me not to be nervous and that he would explain everything to everyone's satisfaction. I was so grateful to him for his understanding as I am sure I would not be able to answer in any kind of coherent manner to questions posed. 

As Jesse settled me into the Phaeton, he told me we were going to an Irish restaurant and hoped I would enjoy my self. I had never been to one before and I was looking forward to the experience. We pulled up in front of a small restaurant on 10th ave. called kelly's Pub and Restaurant.. I looked at him and he just smiled. We entered the reatuarant and I was assailed by the smells and noise. I was used to rather sedate, quiet establishments. Just then a huge man came up and hugged Joseph then turned to me. He grabbed me up, swung me around and exclaimed, "so this is Sarah, isn't she just a little bitty thing." I was at aloss for words. Jesse said,"this is my brother Liam and the lady coming toward us is my Mother, Jenny. They own this establishment and I thought it would be better to introduce you to them this way. They know the story and are all for our marriage."  I looked at him and said "the story?" Yes, How we met and fell in love but kept it quiet until we were ready to have everyone meet. "Oh yes" I said. 

Jesse's Mother was a large woman with soft green eyes, red hair and a smile that lit up the room. You could tell her sons loved her very much and the patrons of the restaurant enjoyed the atmosphere. She greeted me with all of the graciousness of an Astor. She welcomed me to the family and was surprised how I had captivated her son so thoroughly. She said," I was convinced that Jesse was never going to settle down, marry and raise a family. Jesse tells me that you are moving to the house on the Hudson River his Grandpaddy left him. I will be sorry to see you leave so soon after the wedding, but I understand young people must find their own way.  

"Please,come sit down and order what you want. Jesse will help you and explain anything on the menu that you have not eaten before" she said.. Even though my family is from Irish descent I had never eaten authentic Irish food. As I perused the menu, Jesse asked me if I would like him to order for me, I said" oh yes please". Jesse ordered Corned Beef and Cabbage with Irish Soda Bread for both of us and while waiting, after the waitress filled our order, we talked of our lives and how we were raised. While mine was one of privilage, his was one of the working class. His Grandfather came over from Ireland and started a pub that eventually became a restaurant and pub combined. Jesse's Father worked with his Father and were able to send Jesse to good schools and then on to a business school to give him a better start in life. He told me he was not as wealthy as my Father, but could take care of me just fine.

After we finished our meal Jesse asked me if I would like to go dancing. I said "yes' and we left the restaurant after saying goodby to his family. I told his Mother I had throughly enjoyed the meal.

We went to a popular dance hall across town and as we were walking in i bumped into the person ahead of me. I started to say "oh excuse .... when I looked up into the coldest eyes I have not seen in months, It was Albert Tierney.